PDA

View Full Version : Boat Question

Jax
04-27-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey guys, I just recently bought a used Tuffy Esox Magnum. My buddy who works on boats for a living including contracts with Ranger and Lund warranty work here in the midwest looked it over thoroughly and did some custom work for me. Everything is in excellent condition and there was nothing wrong with the boat.
I took it out for the first time this past weekend and everything ran excellent and had no problems. There is an external plug that I put in and take out everytime I put the boat in and take the boat out. Both on saturday and Sunday when i loaded the boat back on the trailer and pulled the plug about 2-3 gallons of water came pouring out. It is nothing that the bilge can't take care of but i was wondering where this water could be coming from? It wasn't raining and no waves were coming over the boat sides. The livewell hoses and fixtures are all tight and there are no leaks and there are no cracks in the bow or stern or anywhere else.
There were 25-30mph winds this past weekend and there were some pretty decent waves on the lake i was on. Could some water have came in through the two holes that are on the hull? I would just like to have an idea on where this water is coming from before i bring it up and walk out one morning to my boat under water. any help or ideas to ease my mind would be appreciated. Thanks!

Esox Chaser
04-27-2009, 10:53 AM
Jax,

First of all congratulations on your new boat. An excellent choice even if I can't convince "some people" to try one again!
What that could be is water that backs into the bait well overflow. Because the boat sits as low as it does sometimes when you unload the boat the back drops way down. I'd check that first. It's not a big deal unless you use that bait well for dry storage ie: lure storage. You might want to consider plugging that overflow off unless you are going to use the bait well for keeping walleyes and other bait fish alive when you're not muskie fishing. Good luck!

Ty Sennett
04-27-2009, 12:17 PM
I have the same thing on mine. Mine is from launching the boat. Water comes over the top on some of the steep launches. The plugs do usually leak ever so slighty also. The only way to know is to take the cover off of the back section and have someone else launch your boat for you while you watch if there is water coming in and from where. I wouldn't worry much about it though. I doubt there is any fiberglass damage. You would visibly see most problems like that.

Jax
04-27-2009, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys! I appreciate your responses. Definately puts my mind at ease. Ty, after I think about it, the ramp was pretty steep. Could definately have had some water come in through the back when launching. I'll have to check it out next time I launch it. Thanks Esox Chaser, will have to check that out as well.