PDA

View Full Version : Muskies in the Potomac? (MD)

Muskiekid
04-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Yep - I know that his is a PA site. However, as a Maryland resident and site member I thought this photo worth viewing. This is a Potomac River Musky that was recently shocked up by the DNR and used to spawn for further reproduction in Maryland lakes/riivers. Since the beginning of the "whirling disease" we can no longer import fish for stocking so they are now going to try taking fish out of the Potomac to restock them elsewhere. Here you go:

http://www.geocities.com/thomasbpinckney/musky41509.jpg

allegheny river kid
04-15-2009, 06:34 PM
Thats a dandy tiger no matter where you go!!!

Ivan
04-16-2009, 06:24 AM
Did I miss somewhere that said that fish was a tiger. Doesn't look like a tiger to me. Just a nicely marked pure. People often confuse nicely barred Chautauqua pures for tigers. Tigers are usually more silvery with almost blackish bars, of course water color can affect the coloring.
Adam A.

Ivan
04-16-2009, 06:28 AM
Also just realized they said the used the fish for spawn so it definately couldn't be a tiger. Tigers can't reproduce.
Pretty fish though.
AA

Muskiekid
04-16-2009, 08:26 AM
Nope: it's a Natural Starin Muskie. The Potomac DOES have some stocked Tigers (the fingerlings came from PA), but they stopped stocking them with the emergence of Naturals. They ARE reproducing with fish of 30+ pounds being taken.

Due to the "whirling disease" stocking has stopped (hopefully temporarily) of fish from other states. Maryland traded Stirper fingerlings to PA hatcheries in exchange for the Tiger fingerlings.

Tigers were doing quite well. Hopefully, restocking river fingerlilngs will start a very good fishery here.

It is not known where the naturals came from with rumors of illegal stocking, etc. They started showing up a few years ago and are doing very well in the upper areas of the river.