PDA

View Full Version : Floating Trophy Trout Section

IM 2 Sage
04-13-2009, 08:08 AM
Hi Guys: I am new to the forum. I am interested in any info that I can get on floating the trophy trout section. We have a Hyde driftboat and have floated from Tidioute to Tionesta. It's convenient since our camp is in Tionesta.
In particular, I am looking for put-in and take-out launch areas as well as an estimate on the float time for that section.
Also, does anyone in the area do any car spotting? I know that in PA not much of that is done. When we float the Michigan rivers there are car spotting services that will take you car to the take-out spot for about 20 bucks. Thanks for any help.

Red Childress
04-13-2009, 02:56 PM
Sage,

Sorry to not have gotten back to you sooner but I am on my Spring Break so chatting on here will be spotty for me over the next 5 days or so.......

Anyway, my partner's niece owns the largest canoe livery on this section of river. The last I heard, they do "car spot" folks doing a 1-way drift anywhere between Tidioute and Warren. I am betting that pick-up/shuttle times will be based around their trip schedule with other patrons. The URL is:

www.alleghenyoutfitters.com

As for launches, there is a very nice launch at the Kinzua outflow and the next pull out is at the Allegheny Outfitters home base located at the Glade Bridge which is the first bridge on the East end of town (6 miles or so). There is another launch located at the Warren Hospital which is another 2 miles downriver just below the confluence of the Conewango Creek and Allegheny River. The next launch is located on the West end of Betts Park, which is a softball complex right along the river. The launch is at the very end of the park as you are drifting downstream. All the aforementioned launches require no fee and parking is not a problem, except the hospital launch which will require a 50-100 yard walk from your car in most cases. The hospital launch is 9.2 miles from the confluence of the Conewango and Allegheny River, just to give you an estimate on mileage and drift time.

I hope this helps.

IM 2 Sage
04-14-2009, 03:04 PM
A great forum indeed! Thanks guys.