PDA

View Full Version : Braid

Cranman
04-08-2009, 10:56 AM
Hi Steve...
The Cran team is getting excited for our June trip....as you know, we target the pike in the remote lakes and have caught some real beauties over the past 3 years...last year was my first year using braid...Powerpro 20lb...after our june trip, I used the rig for another week-long trip...do I need to replace the braid for this year or should it be fine? I am used to re-spooling mono every year....I dont want to risk losing one of those 40inchers...
See you in a few months...

DanR
04-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Hi Steve...
The Cran team is getting excited for our June trip....as you know, we target the pike in the remote lakes and have caught some real beauties over the past 3 years...last year was my first year using braid...Powerpro 20lb...after our june trip, I used the rig for another week-long trip...do I need to replace the braid for this year or should it be fine? I am used to re-spooling mono every year....I dont want to risk losing one of those 40inchers...
See you in a few months...
You should be fine. I've used the same line 2-3 years, no problem. If you're really worried about it, flip the line around so the fresher stuff is on top.

-Dan

Steve Herbeck
04-12-2009, 11:22 AM
Cranman,
How's It Go'n Man?
Can't Wait To See You Guys Again,yu're Enthisiasm Is Contagious When You're In Camp!
As Dan Said Is As Is,however,personally I Would Go A Little Heavier. 20# Braid Has The Diam Of Like 8 #mono And One Nick Or Fray And You're Done If A Big Fish Hits And The Way You Guys Cast Pike Non Stop As Well As The Chances Of Hooking Up With 40"+ Pike Which You Guys Do Yearly As Well As The Outside Chance At An Incidental Huge Musky You Don't Want Either To End Up Swimming Around With A Length Of Broken Line And A Lure In It's Mouth Not To Mention No Pic To Brag About.
The New Fireline Braid Seems Tougher,is Round,and If Yu Go A Bit Heavier It Is Smaller In Dia. Per # If You Like The Real Small Dia The 20# Gave You.
Herbie

DanR
04-12-2009, 03:39 PM
The New Fireline Braid Seems Tougher,is Round,and If Yu Go A Bit Heavier It Is Smaller In Dia. Per # If You Like The Real Small Dia The 20# Gave You.
I should point out that I switched over to that new Spiderwire Invisibraid last year. That stuff is awesome. Yeah, it's a little thicker, but it's round and the way it casts is amazing. Who cares about whether its "invisible" or not cause most of us use flouro leaders anyway. But it all comes back to efficiency. If you can cast easier, you have more control of where your bait lands. That was the big difference for me last year. I think the one day with Cal, Chuckie said to me, "Jesus, Danny, you're casting like a madman." I let him try it out, and he was like, "Man, thats awesome." You gotta get used to it, cause the line just "flies" off the reel (btw, even if you get a backlash, it comes out easier). But you can get an extra 10-15 feet per cast, and hit your spots with less "strain" and arm whipping/throwing action of your rod. Over the course of a week, it all adds up. Hit your spots better + less wear and tear on your arm = best line I've ever used.

-Dan

muskychub
04-12-2009, 06:16 PM
Dan,

Do you tie the Invisbraid directly to the spool or use backing?

DanR
04-12-2009, 09:14 PM
Dan,

Do you tie the Invisbraid directly to the spool or use backing?
I don't respool often with this new style line, so I usually just take it to the shop every 3 years and have them do it with the "latest and greatest" line. It's cheaper because it's bulk (and easier) and the machine gets it tight. They automatically put on a backing where I get my line spooled.

-Dan