PDA

View Full Version : Fishing 4/6, 4/7

Red Childress
04-06-2009, 05:37 AM
A photo of a musky caught on Sunday by Big D. They also hooked/lost 3 other fish over the weekend. Deeter was a happy man once again!

Joe had a very nice glide bait get pounded by a 'sharp-toothed' fish (inside joke)....a couple of head shakes and gone.

ttabaleulb
04-06-2009, 11:46 AM
Nice work!! That is a FINE fish!! Glad to see there were active fish somewhere! Now thats the way to start the "season"!!!

We did some trolling Saturday while having some serious fun with the wind. Was especially joyous trying to get baits out of snags while trying to control the boat with 40-50 mph gusts!! LOL Also, had the lure retriever detach and stay on the lake bottom. Have you ever seen anyone use an anchor to get a bait back?? We did it somehow!! LOL We did mark some baitfish but had no action.

Sunday was a much better day (wind wise), but still couldn't find the active fish. Not even a follow from the small Pike that are usually around. Saw a couple of Musky shackin up in the shallows and left in a hurry to try not to disturb them.

Gotta get the Sonar/GPS hooked up this week so I am ready to get back after them this weekend. Hoping another wicked cold front comes through again since the last one was so much fun! :)

river rat24
04-06-2009, 12:35 PM
That's a nice fish red! I was gathering my gear to head out, when I saw you drifting. I wanted to make sure I let you finish your pass before I made my way out there. Had time to sit down outside to restring a reel and heard "FISH ON!!!!". Glad you had more luck than I did this weekend.

Red Childress
04-06-2009, 12:45 PM
One of my clients might have had "our" fish on for a second but lost it. Water is so stained that we did not get a look at her.

Was that you in the row boat??

river rat24
04-06-2009, 02:12 PM
I'd really like to see what that big girl amounts to these days. She's a real pig. Yea, thats my little row boat until the new one arrives. Makes you realize how much you like having a motor when you drift to the bottom of that straight and row back up about a dozen times! Notice any certain lures producing well for you yet? My bull dawgs and wileys aren't seeming too hot

Red Childress
04-07-2009, 07:41 AM
The guy who caught the 42 was using a high dollar jointed plastic swimbait. He also lost a fish on it too. The other bait getting action was a glide bait. I was the last guy through the spots using Phantoms, DC-10's and spinnerbaits and had 0 action.

Very tough to see any following fish due to low visibility...

R Findlan
04-07-2009, 08:29 AM
Red,
Super fat 42" great fish, what was the girth or estimated girth? Just curious if you don't mind me asking, how big is that fish you guys keep talking about? Hearing about big fish really motivates me and it is really needed with all this snow and the slow bite around here.

Reed

Red Childress
04-07-2009, 09:00 AM
That fish girthed out (with soft tape) at 20. When I first saw her, I was thinking 22-23.

The other fish that that RiverRat and myself are talking about appears to be in the 51-54 inch class. I have seen it (or its' twin sister) 3X in 2 years very close to the boat in clear water. The girth on this one is what makes my knees shake. The last time I saw her was last July and she looked like she had swallowed 2 volleyballs.

I am not certain THAT fish is still using THAT spot but I sure hope so. :)

R Findlan
04-07-2009, 12:29 PM
Sounds like quite a fish and to have that much girth in July, she must be huge right now. I would love to see one like that in the river. You just motivated me to head to the river after work tonight with all my snow gear on.

Thanks Red,

Reed

Red Childress
04-07-2009, 12:50 PM
Traditionally, a fish like that does not go back around here. If the average (local) guy gets her in the net, she will be cooked up and chased down with a cold beer.

It happens all the time around these parts! :)

Good Luck with the "snow" muskies today.

river rat24
04-08-2009, 05:50 PM
Well, with the weather slowly improving hopefully we'll get lucky and find our fish before one of those people does. That way she'll get documented and released. For as many times as I saw her last year, I could have taken snap shots and made a book! She's awfully shy