PDA

View Full Version : Pike and Cold fronts

ttabaleulb
04-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Do Pike "turn off" the same way Musky seem to after a cold front?? Looks like the fishing tomorrow is going to be quite interesting with the front coming through and some serious wind gusts. Just trying to figure out if the abuse might be worth it in the middle of a lake with 50mph winds.

Red Childress
04-03-2009, 11:17 AM
Jay,

The lake fish will turn off well before the river fish. Pike are usually the least effected by weather, if that is any consolation. 50mph on a lake that is laying East and West will not be any fun. If you have a few spots/bays laying N and S, you might be able put some fish in the boat because you will not be spending all your time controlling the boat.

Sometimes the wave action will fire up the fish especially in clear water. The shallows will be void of pre-spawn fish with the cold rain/wind coming.

Since the river is low up here, We plan on fishing backwards tomorrow.....Drive to the end of each musky area and let the wind push us back up against the current.

Trolling breaklines might be a great option for lake fishing.

ttabaleulb
04-03-2009, 01:12 PM
I figure that we'll just go for a late start tomorrow and see how the wind is. I was definitely considering trolling the breaklines as you mentioned. Glad to see that I might actually be picking up on some of this stuff!! LOL

We'll save the casting mainly for Sunday. Looks like a much nicer day.

Red Childress
04-03-2009, 01:14 PM
Good Luck. There will some fish feeding somewhere. We just have to find them!