PDA

View Full Version : Sonar/GPS installation

ttabaleulb
03-31-2009, 06:02 PM
Alright guys, I need some help here. The Lowrance that I bought and had a local boat shop install failed. First trip out, unit shut off but I was able to get it to power back up. Next trip out, unit shut off and would not power back up. Took it back to the boat shop and they could not get it to turn back on. They claim to have tested the wiring and had power from the battery all the way to the unit. Just no dice on getting it to power back up. I'll mention that this particular boat shop is VERY questionable. They have HORRIBLE customer service, but its the closest to me.

Long story short, had to return it and Cabela's had run out of stock of the Lowrance for a replacement and I decided on a Humminbird. I plan to install this one myself but have absolutely NO experience with this kind of thing. At this point, I believe that I should already be able to use the mount that is in place, and hopefully the same screw holes for the transducer.

Do you guys have any advice/recommendations for this type of installation? I am hoping to have it on Thursday and would love to have it ready for some weekend fishing.

By the way, I have a 14' Lowe Jon Boat, nothing fancy.

Jay

Red Childress
04-01-2009, 05:31 AM
Jay,

I am no electronic genius by any means and I am sure someone will help you with this much more than I. With that being said, we will need to know how many batteries you have in the boat and how they are wired. For instance, are you running the trolling motor and cranking battery off the same battery bank or do you have separate batteries for both the trolling motor and engine??

ttabaleulb
04-01-2009, 08:55 AM
Red,

I use one battery for the trolling motor and the other for the outboard/electronics in the back of the boat. That setup seemed to work fine for the older sonar that I am replacing. Also, I ordered the unit that has internal GPS so that I didn't need to use more boat space to mount the antenna.

I downloaded the manual from Humminbird's website last night and they didn't even have an installation section in it. So, I have e-mailed them also.

Jay

Red Childress
04-01-2009, 09:10 AM
I am not sure if you can use the exact same holes for the graph but the transducer bracket should be the same. If you cannot use the exact holes for the graph bracket, you should at least be able to cover those old holes with the Humminbird bracket.

As for mounting the transducer, if you are primarily using for lake stuff then you can let the transducer hang 1/2 way below the bottom of the boat. There is a seam along the midline of the transducer and if you line that seam up with the hull bottom, your readings should be fine.

In shallow river applications, I have to pull my transducer up so it is flush with the bottom of the boat so I do not crack another one or rip another one completely off.

What other problems are you having mounting the Humminbird??

I would post this on the MHunter site also, if you need some immediate feedback.

ttabaleulb
04-01-2009, 09:34 AM
Actually, I do not even have the Humminbird unit yet. I am expecting to get it over the next couple of days. At this point, I am not sure that I will have any major issues. I am just hoping to have a plan of attack once it shows up and hopefully not screw anything up!! LOL

Red Childress
04-01-2009, 10:33 AM
A man of your intellect should breeze right through it.......

Little35
04-01-2009, 06:13 PM
Jay,
I installed my own Humminbird and when I did, I took a nylon cutting board and attached that first so that if you do need to move the transducer or you change it again you will not have multiple holes in the boat. The other item besides how far the transducer is below the hull is to be sure it is level.

When you get your Humminbird it should have a template in the back of the manual so you can cut it out and tape it to the back of the boat for the correct angle.
Jon.

ttabaleulb
04-02-2009, 09:22 AM
Cool, thanks guys. Looks like I might not get a chance to install it until next week. Decided to get together with my brother for our first '09 Musky trip this weekend and use his boat instead. I am pretty psyched about the trip. As usual, if we even get one follow, I'll be thrilled. At least I know the Pike should be around. Its all about Esox, right?? :)