PDA

View Full Version : Season Reflections

Chas Martin
03-12-2009, 09:23 AM
It’s finally here! Open water in just a month or so and I am more pumped than ever to hit the water hard this season. The winter sports shows really helped me through the hard water season and it was great to talk and meet with a few of the people I keep in touch with over the internet. As I look back on last season a few things always come to mind. Right away I always think of the biggest fish we landed and then how much fun I had fishing with my clients and sharing stories. There are a lot of fun jobs out there but being a fishing guide has to be right up there with the best and I could not do it without the support of my customers! But let’s get down to business and talk about reflecting on last season. None of this is ground breaking material but it never hurts to review and think about the basics!

I always like to start with the positives because it is important to remember what you did to be successful. Flipping through my fishing logs, I see many successful days where everything was going well and in our favor but also days when the conditions seemed right but the numbers just didn’t add up. Now don’t get me wrong, just being out there fishing and enjoying the beautiful outdoors makes me happy just in itself, but we are out there with a purpose…to catch fish! So being able to dissect your fishing logs or just remembering back to a specific trip and analyzing what went right and what you could have improved on can make a big difference in your success this season. As much fun as it is to just go out and fish, there are many, many small and seemingly undetectable details that separate the best anglers from the average or unsuccessful ones. Fishing is a science rigged with probabilities that are not in our favor and it is up to us to do our home work and build on what we learned last year. So to get back on track, I urge everyone to take time in these coming weeks to look back on your notes and write down a few key points to think about. If you haven’t kept a log or diary, start one this season but still try and remember some positives and negatives from your fishing outings.

As a fishing guide looking back at my notes, it still shocks me that the single most important reason that leads to either stardom or destruction is the mastery of the basic skills. And I’m not just talking about the fundamentals. I’m also talking about the proper rigging of fishing equipment and taking care to ensure that everything is ready when the big moment happens. We are all in this together! Each season I lose muskies because of a sloppy figure-8 when I was tired and didn’t think “she” was gonna be there or maybe I didn’t gauge the wind right and fouled a cast in a prime spot. Maybe it was getting late and you didn’t want to retie your jig after the line was scuffed by a rock and then you lost a monster smallie. These are nightmare stories but it happens to the best pros in the business and all I can say is remember the mistake and try to practice and not do it again. To sum up my point here, we have to always strive for perfection on every cast. When you break down how many casts you throw to how many fish make it in the net, it gives you good reason to make sure the basics are done right. Proper posture, solid hook sets, fighting fish correctly and working on your boat side mechanics are huge factors that when done correctly, can really make a difference at the end of the season.

How long has it been since you’ve changed the line on your reels? One season? Five seasons? I am always amazed when someone brings a casting setup on board and I see the line is noticeably frayed and worn. “But I just caught a 37 incher last week! This line is good enough for me…” Ok, well it’s not good enough for me! I believe you have to be a perfectionist when it comes to inspecting and fixing problems with line and terminal tackle. Another biggie is problems with snaps on leaders for pike and muskie anglers. Those snaps are strong but they have a limited life so make sure to check your snaps for signs of wear-and-tear. I have lost some big fish due to not checking my snap or swivel and it can keep you up for many nights! How about reel maintenance? When was the last time you took apart your reels and gave them a tune-up? It should be done every season depending on how much you use the reel and it is important. Adding the proper amount of oil is critical to a reel’s performance, especially in cold fishing conditions such as early spring or late fall when the oil viscosity can have an effect on the instant anti-reverse systems. Also of importance is to make sure the split-rings on your favorite lures are not rusted-out or worn down. Anybody who has fished with me knows that I am really particular about the type of split-rings a lure is fit with right out of the package. Just like in any business, lure manufacturers try to cut costs wherever possible, and sometimes this shows up in the hard to notice areas such as hooks and split-rings that may be of inferior quality. I have seen sub-40 inch muskies totally destroy new split-rings on new baits! So this season, make sure you start things off right and check your reels, line and terminal tackle so you don’t suffer the heart wrenching loss of a big fish due to easily detectable problems.

Thanks for reading and hope some of these ideas get the “juices flowing” as we approach the 2009 season. I definitely breezed over a few important topics so if anyone has other pre-season strategies let’s hear ‘em.

Chas Martin
www.muskymastery.com