PDA

View Full Version : Chip info

jcf
03-09-2009, 08:03 AM
I talked to some resort owners at the Milwaukee Sports show last weekend about the Chip Flowage. My brother and I are planning to fish it for the our first time June 12-15.

I was told that by June 12 I probably will have to fish walleye only at first and last light of the day. Is that true?

I was told the the western sections of the Chip were better to fish than the East.

What kind of depth, structures, should we fish on?

Any suggestions on baits, colors, sizes, for walleye?

Ty Sennett
03-09-2009, 09:08 AM
You definitely do not need to fish at first light and at sundown to catch walleye on the Chip. It helps to be on the water right at sundown, but not necessary. There are fish to be caught throughout the day. I would try live bait on either a jig or slip bobber on the weed edges. The key is to figure out the weed edges so you know you are hitting the edge perfect. If the walleyes are aggressive, try crankbaits and twister tails over the top of the weeds. Right at sundown throw crankbaits against shore and you should clean up on the walleyes.

As for what side of the lake to fish it really doesn't matter at all. There is about the same amount on both sides of the bridge. Fish whatever side you like.

Downsouth
03-11-2009, 09:31 PM
If you don't mind me chiming in here, a few things I'd suggest if you're going to fish the chip for the first time:
1) Have an onboard or handheld GPS with you for getting around without getting lost. Or at the very least a good, detailed map. It's BIG, and you'll be surprised how much it can all look alike eventually if you don't know it.
2) Consider a Hot Spots map or a book that gives you at least some tips for starters. They ain't no Ty Sennett by a long shot, but way better than nothing. Ideally, hire Ty for a day or a half a day!

Ty Sennett
03-12-2009, 09:05 AM
Thanks for the comments Downsouth. The GPS comment is really helpful. I see quite a few people that are lost every year. I suppose it all looks the same without any houses to look at along shore.

jcf
03-12-2009, 04:22 PM
Thanks Ty, and Downsouth.

It's ironic, that I just received in the mail the new hotspots map with detailed GPS coordinates marked on some of the spots. I have always fished with a handheld GPS, but it wouldn't allow coordinates to be entered. I was planning to upgrade it anyway, now I have another reason.

Thanks for the fishing suggestions.

jcf

Ty Sennett
03-12-2009, 05:43 PM
I'd be careful not to follow that hot spots map. It isn't very accurate at all. Try a Lakemaster paper map if you want an accurate paper map.

jcf
03-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks again Ty.

jkahler
03-12-2009, 11:55 PM
I'd use a paper map and a gps/lake map chip. Heck, just using those I still turned into the sticks thinking I was headed back to Indian Trail..lol! Luckily I figured it out before I hit a stump.

Snizz
03-13-2009, 08:56 AM
I use the force...

"These aren't the droids you are looking for"
http://www.altpress.com/specials/blog/scott/uploaded_images/starwarscap33ff1-730837.jpg

jcf
03-13-2009, 09:09 AM
It does almost sound like I'm going into the "Dark side" on the Chip.

I've managed my way around Lac Seul, Lake of the Woods, and a few other Canadian lakes with just my "cheap" GPS and followed the bread crumbs home. So I think if I am careful I should be OK.

Thanks for all the concern though.

Ty Sennett
03-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Nice Snizz. How has that worked out for you?

Snizz
03-13-2009, 10:33 AM
I am still developing my force powers...it takes time...a very slow process :P