PDA

View Full Version : New "BOB" video... much better quality...

Muskie Matt
03-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Check out this toy that we "splashed" for the first time last week... we call it, "ROBERT" (Remotely Operated Bottom Eye Recon Tracker... something like that) or "BOB" for short.

Have to ask Capt. Matt about all the specs on BOB, this was a project that his wife gave him as a gift... gotta love a woman that'll give you a toy like this...

Sid Chigger
03-07-2009, 01:49 PM
How cool is that??

What about some "specs", guys?

How big is it??

Takes video or stills or both?

Nice wintertime project, Capt'n!

Muskie Matt
03-07-2009, 02:55 PM
Go to the very bottom of my homepage, www.MuskieMatt.com and you'll find a very short video clip of "BOB" running.... it is just a little too cool.

gfisch
03-10-2009, 10:35 AM
Holy Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea Batman !!!!! Pretty cool deal. Now if you can figure out how to get it to retrieve lost lures from stumps that little baby will pay for itself.

gfisch

Pete Stoltman
03-10-2009, 10:47 PM
You're reading my mind Gfisch!

gfisch
03-11-2009, 11:23 AM
Maybe Matt really works for the CIA and is checking the waters of the Eagle River Chain in case the Canucks or Ruskies ever decide to invade via sub.

Let me know if they ever give you depth charges, as I would really enjoy a run around the chain dropping some of them and seeing what fish come up after. The last couple of years have been tough fishing, I could use all the help I can get.

gfisch

Muskie Matt
03-12-2009, 07:31 PM
Had "BOB" over in the test tank again... this time I brought the good camera and got in the water with "BOB"... much better quality video.

Check it out, again, at the bottom of my homepage, www.MuskieMatt.com

What's next you ask...? Maybe an RFRG satellite with "fisheye" camera...:D

Captain Matt
03-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Hey Sid! Responding to your request for some specs: BOB's body is made of 1/2" PVC. Overall dimensions are 13"X13"X7" (not counting the floats). He gets around using three 500 GPH bilge pump motors, fitted with hobby airplane props. One motor for vertical lift and descent and two for horizontal thrust and reverse. He has a color board camera set in a bed of epoxy housed in a 1.5 inch PVC coupler and 2 inch ABS cap. His field of view is illuminated with a 12 volt LED light encased in epoxy. All this is powered by a 12 volt 7.5Ah dry cell battery attached to a 100 foot power and video cable. I bought a drop down ceiling mount mobile 15 inch color monitor (designed for RV's, boats, and cars) and with a little modification to the orientation of the display panel, it opens like a laptop computer. The video quality is excellent. Once I get a video recording device set in line, we'll put up some footage from BOB's exploits.

gfisch, I am no CIA operative, but I concur with you about BOB's recovery potential. Matt and I will be working on a gripper design to do just those kinds of missions. We also think another "eye" or two might be helpful to help watch out for those underwater hazards and clandestine attacks of stealthy ne'er-do-wells.

Until next time, my Fine Fishy Friends!:cool:

Muskie Matt
03-13-2009, 04:09 AM
capt... what'd you think of the new video on "BOB"? Much better than the cell phone video... and the format is MUCH easier to work with.

Still thinking about a madien voyage this weekend?

Captain Matt
03-13-2009, 07:29 AM
Matt, That video is fantastic! Excellent selection of music and great comment animation. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

I am doubting this weekend will work for putting BOB below the ice. While the admiral indulges my curiosities, she would not understand if I missed her b-day. :o

gfisch
03-13-2009, 12:50 PM
"Somethings in this room, just don't react well to bullets."

Sean Connery, in the movie Red October

gfisch

Sid Chigger
03-14-2009, 07:10 PM
Hey Sid! Responding to your request for some specs: BOB's body is made of 1/2" PVC. Overall dimensions are 13"X13"X7" (not counting the floats). He gets around using three 500 GPH bilge pump motors, fitted with hobby airplane props. One motor for vertical lift and descent and two for horizontal thrust and reverse. He has a color board camera set in a bed of epoxy housed in a 1.5 inch PVC coupler and 2 inch ABS cap. His field of view is illuminated with a 12 volt LED light encased in epoxy. All this is powered by a 12 volt 7.5Ah dry cell battery attached to a 100 foot power and video cable. I bought a drop down ceiling mount mobile 15 inch color monitor (designed for RV's, boats, and cars) and with a little modification to the orientation of the display panel, it opens like a laptop computer. The video quality is excellent. Once I get a video recording device set in line, we'll put up some footage from BOB's exploits.

gfisch, I am no CIA operative, but I concur with you about BOB's recovery potential. Matt and I will be working on a gripper design to do just those kinds of missions. We also think another "eye" or two might be helpful to help watch out for those underwater hazards and clandestine attacks of stealthy ne'er-do-wells.

Until next time, my Fine Fishy Friends!:cool:

Awesome, Capt'n!! Gotta love a good project, eh! That's too cool guys.. Great new vid, Matt.. You sure do like that song, don'tcha?? :-)

SC

Muskie Matt
03-17-2009, 08:50 AM
Thanks Sid, and ya, that tune is just catchy... I like it anyway.

And I love that quote from Red October... a classic.

gfisch
06-19-2009, 03:43 PM
Hey Guys,

Just wondering what the status is on "Bob", the underwater vehicle. Has it been taken out for a drive this Spring? ( I refuse to acknowledge it's summer based on the last 2 months weather pattern)

gfisch

"Mafia? I don't know nothin about no mafia. I'm just a simple fisherman, blessed with many friends. "

Captain Matt
06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
gfisch,

BOB has been dunked in the Big Puddle a couple of times this spring (and if you think the pattern around here is less than summery, try that big air conditioner). Used him once in a recovery effort (which didn't produce anything) under the ice off the east end of Ashland Breakwater. Scooted him in and around the dock on Stockton Island. Inspected the bottom of Blue Ayes. Set him on the bottom at night and watched some pretty cool water bugs and fish for awhile. Its like outdoor theater.

I plan to drop him in over a wreck or two to give the topsiders who never dive, a view of what lies beneath.

More Later,

Capt. Matt

Mark Benson
06-19-2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks for that update Capt. Matt!!! Sounds like really cool stuff!!!

Mark

Sid Chigger
06-20-2009, 06:58 AM
Hi Capt'n.. Have you got a video capture device set up yet?

gfisch,

BOB has been dunked in the Big Puddle a couple of times this spring (and if you think the pattern around here is less than summery, try that big air conditioner). Used him once in a recovery effort (which didn't produce anything) under the ice off the east end of Ashland Breakwater. Scooted him in and around the dock on Stockton Island. Inspected the bottom of Blue Ayes. Set him on the bottom at night and watched some pretty cool water bugs and fish for awhile. Its like outdoor theater.

I plan to drop him in over a wreck or two to give the topsiders who never dive, a view of what lies beneath.

More Later,

Capt. Matt