PDA

View Full Version : Starter Rod

Paul Schlagel
03-07-2009, 11:24 AM
I often get questions from folks new to musky fishing who are looking for advice on the equipment they need to get started. Here are the rods I recommend.

My first suggestion is to get a long rod. The 7 foot and 7 1/2 foot rods are becoming a thing of the past. I only use rods 8 1/2 to 9 feet long. The extra length makes casting more efficient and less work. The extra length also makes a big difference for performing a good figure-8. I can't stress this point enough - longer is better.

Currently the 1st rod I recommend is the Okuma EVX 8'6". This rod runs around $119 and is a really good rod at any price, and is an outstanding rod for only $119. This rod is well made and throws a wide range of baits well. It's available in Heavy and Extra-Heavy. The extra-heavy is probably the better choice for an all-around rod because it can better handle plastic swimbaits like (Big Joe, Bulldawg, etc.) and also the big blade baits that are so popular right now (Spanky Baits Fireball, Double Cowgirl, etc. Go with the 8'6" XH If you're going to throw these bait, and you should. Go with the 8'6" H if you think you'll be mosly throw smaller stuff. In general, it's easier to throw a small bait with a rod that's a bit too heavy than trying to throw bigger stuff with an under-powered rod.

Another good choice that's been around for a long time is the Shimano Compre 8'0" XH. It throws a wide range of baits well and runs around $129. I wish Shimano started making longer rods in the Compre line, but the 8 footer is still a really good rod.

In the St. Croix Premier lineup I recommend the PM80HF for an all-around rod. It's and 8 footer and runs about $179.

The Shimano and St. Croix rods are available almost everywhere. The Okuma rods a bit harder to find, but there are more and more stores carrying Okuma all the time. I know they have them at Sportsman's Warehouse stores and they have all the Okuma stuff at Rollie and Helen's Musky Shop. You can order online from R&H at www.muskyshop.com

Sam
03-13-2009, 07:15 PM
I have an Okuma EVX and tell you that the XH is the way to go for an all around rod the H doesn't have quite enough power for Dawgs and other heavier baits. Get the XH.