PDA

View Full Version : Release Tools

RapRunR
03-05-2009, 11:34 AM
What are your must have release tools that you carry with you for muskies ? All i really have is a long handled needle nose. What else should i have with me ?

toothyfishman
03-05-2009, 01:36 PM
Something to cut hooks with for sure, for your safety and the fish.
Never know when accidents happen and your the one with the hook!!!

I carry needle nose, side cutters, knipex bolt cutters (which are awesome) and a jaw spreader which I seldom use but is nice to have along.

Klien side cutters will cut a few hooks, most other brands of cutters won't but you can't beat the knipex bolt cutters. The Knipex's are pricey so I used Kliens intil I got the bolt cutters. They are worth the $$$ though.

A glove isn't a bad idea either, I hate gloves in my pictures so nomally if I have to work on one to get it released I'll get it all unhooked and then dump the gloves for the pic.....cause in the end that is what it's all about the pic and the shakes that go with getting to the pic!!!!!

Little35
03-05-2009, 01:51 PM
I know they are pricey but I would include a 60lb Boga Grip. I bought a small one on ebay and when I got and saw the size I put it right back on ebay.

Red Childress
03-05-2009, 03:11 PM
My suggestion is to have an extra pair of long-nose pliers.....It really stinks when you sink them to the bottom and still have a fish to unbutton.

I own a few pair in the bottom of the river. If anyone finds them, please return them ASAP.

allegheny river kid
03-05-2009, 06:34 PM
All my tools are attached to a small rope and tied off to a plano box i store them in. Fish starts shaking and knocks them loose they don't go very far.

RapRunR
03-07-2009, 06:09 AM
Thx guys !!

jah1317
03-20-2009, 08:39 AM
Anyone out there know the name of the product that is a "gun" style release tool. It has a long square steel "barrel" and when you squeeze the grip it locks onto the hook with a little hooked piece of steel I am thinking it is about 1 foot long or so. There was one at the Butler show at the booth across from Red. I can't remember the name for the life of me maby grab-it? I was going to buy it then decided not to like an idiot. Anyone got any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jacob

Red Childress
03-20-2009, 08:55 AM
I do not know the exact name of it either but I used one for a year or two and they worked pretty well. The problem with the one I had was when a fish went into the "spin" mode and put lots of torque on the "grabber" end, the steel started to split. Over time, these little splits became too large for the tool to be effective. Otherwise, I really liked it but now I am just used to long nose pliers and a Kevlar glove for deeply hooked fish.

This tool looked much like a Baker hook-out but with a trigger and protruding "hook grabber".

muskie24/7
03-20-2009, 10:55 AM
I just picked up a pair of Knipex midget bolt cutters on ebay! They are the ones that are spring loaded. I think they sell for 60 or 70 dollars! I got mine shipped to the door for $26. They are like brand new and will cut a mustad 3551 like butter with one hand! I'm very happy with them and I'm sure a badly hooked musky will be too! there were alot more on there for sale as well!

Brian