PDA

View Full Version : Any experience in the NY part of the river?

FishnBeer
02-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I am a very "green" fisherman. I have just started over the past couple years, and it is usually pretty laid back fishing off the shore or dock. I would like to do some more "real" fishing this year. Real for me would be, to just learn more techniques and gain better knowledge of how/where/when about fishing and be successful catching fish by my standards.

I am from the Red House State Park area. I fish the river and the Reservoir.
Is anyone here familar with the northern part of the river? By researching it seems that it isn't the better part of the river to do fishing. Is this true?

Any knowledge about the area, or just general help for a beginner would be helpful.

To get an idea of exactly how far along I am....I usually fish on shore with worms/minnows. I use other random artificial baits in my box, but do not know much about using them (mostly spinners)

At this point I am not looking to real in huge Muskie. More along the lines or Bass/Trout.

I will hang up and listen, Thank!

toothyfishman
02-25-2009, 06:19 AM
12-15 years ago I fish it pretty often, I normally got pike.
I hit the area from 219 to Salamanca float trips with a jon boat. (res. waters)
The Tuna has some smaller muskies it in, never got any over 28", pretty fish markings on those little guys. I floated it from the last rusted out closed bridge before the res. down to the 219 bridge. (had to drag the boat upstream to the bridge as the Tuna comes out below.

Bass fishing, any riffles that are 3-4 FOW and moving faster. Topwater and rubber baits work well. Super zoom flukes, tube lures, X-rap minnow baits.

I wasn't much of a muskie guy then. I would like to try it again with my newer knowledge of muskies fishing but hate to give the Indians what they want for a fishing lics. now. Was $11 back in the day..........

Red Childress
02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
I have never fished the Upper part but I like your username!

FishnBeer
02-25-2009, 04:44 PM
12-15 years ago I fish it pretty often, I normally got pike.
I hit the area from 219 to Salamanca float trips with a jon boat. (res. waters)
The Tuna has some smaller muskies it in, never got any over 28", pretty fish markings on those little guys. I floated it from the last rusted out closed bridge before the res. down to the 219 bridge. (had to drag the boat upstream to the bridge as the Tuna comes out below.

Bass fishing, any riffles that are 3-4 FOW and moving faster. Topwater and rubber baits work well. Super zoom flukes, tube lures, X-rap minnow baits.

I wasn't much of a muskie guy then. I would like to try it again with my newer knowledge of muskies fishing but hate to give the Indians what they want for a fishing lics. now. Was $11 back in the day..........

I am from Salamanca (not Indian)

I was just wondering since seeing so many monsters that have been caught in the lower part, while I hardly hear about them up here(I might be just missing this because I am not a serious fishman yet)

But would you generally think the same kinds and sizes of fish in the southern part would be in the northern part as well? The river can get pretty low up here. In mid-July many parts are 3-5 feet. Is this enough water for such fish?

Any one ever been to the Onoville area....the Reservour near Onoville?

If not, just any tips or facts about fishing the river from shore or dock, especially for Tout/Bass/Bullhead....and maybe Pike? I would like to fish more this year and hook fish at a better rate. Maybe I will think about the boat and making a fishing trip out of it as I get more experienced.

Thanks!

Red Childress
02-26-2009, 09:26 AM
You are in some good fishing up there. Finding them will be the key and then matching your lure with the water depth/conditions comes next.

I was going to fish that section back in '96 but our plans fell through due to lack of access points along that section. Someday I will get up there and hit it. I have heard good things about that section, especially near Potato Creek.

1roofmusky
02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Red-
would that be a long run for you from the "FRIENDS" launch ramp? That access point seems to be very close to the river.

Red Childress
02-26-2009, 10:33 AM
I do not know where that is..........

1roofmusky
02-26-2009, 10:38 AM
Its right off 17 in NY near Salamanca and right near the river mouth. Its a fully improved ramp and its actually called "FRIENDS".

Red Childress
02-26-2009, 11:37 AM
If I launched in PA waters (on the Res at Wolf Run marina) I could be there pretty quickly.....maybe 25 minutes in my jet. I would probably elect to drive to Willow Bay or Onoville for time and gas savings.

I did not know that launch was fixed-up. My gears are turning now!