PDA

View Full Version : Tackle Review - Gorilla Pod

Paul Schlagel
02-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Ok, so I'm passing the winter by posting these tackle reviews, mostly new stuff that I tried during the '08 season. Here's another.

This installment is actually one of the Christmas gifts I got from my wife. It's a super-cool tripod. If you ever fish alone, you need one of these in your boat. I don't get a chance to fish along all that often. When I have I don't take pictures of the fish I caught. I really don't need any more pictures of myself holding big muskies, but on a world-class lake like Mille Lacs, it's only a matter of time before I catch a real monster and don't get a photo. My wife took care of that with this cool tripod. I think she got it from Amazon.

The cool thing about the Gorilla pod is that it can be used anywhere. The legs are flexible so it can be used on uneven surfaces. The legs can even be wrapped around something to get it up higher, like if you wanted the camera at chest height or at eye-level

This spring I'll have to practice with it in my boat so I can figure out the best place to position the camera and where I need to stand

Photos:
1) New, in the box
2) In use, holding a camera
3) Holding a camera again, note the rear leg in on a 2X4 to demonstrate how this thing can easily handle uneven and broken surfaces
4) Holding the camera again, this time the camera is positioned at shoulder height by using the flexible legs to grip a tree branch.

Paul Schlagel
02-26-2009, 08:57 PM
A couple things to add here.

My wife got the Gorilla Pod from Amazon. I checked and they have many different versions. Some are as low as $20.

My wife found out about the Gorilla Pod from the CustomFish website: http://www.customfish.com/ If you're not familiar with CustomFish, you have to check it out. They make life-sized prints of you and your fish that are an awesome and value-priced alternative to a replica. I had one done and I love it. It only cost $75! The owner Jaime (or co-owner with his friend Mike, I'm not sure) posts fishing reports and humor on the website under CustomFishing Report: http://www.customfish.com/customfishingreport.html I check it out from time to time for the humor and the fine ladies that show up from time to time (like right now). My wife occasionally checks Jaime's posts, which is strange because, in her own words, hates musky fishing. Anyway, I'm rambling. My wife once saw some information Jaime posted about the Gorilla Pod.

One more thing I have to mention, I just can't resist. I ran into Jaime at the Chicago show and he told my that the fish I sent him, the one he made into a life-sized print, is still the biggest fish he's done yet. He posted his remarks about the fish and about the print he made on his website in the CustomFishing Report. It's in the archive under March 2008. Go to the March 2008 page and scroll down a bit. Oh what the heck, for your convenience I'll provide the link:
http://www.customfish.com/2008_03_01_archive.html

TrevorB
02-27-2009, 06:51 PM
Nice! I checked it out, that's a great idea. I like the woman holding the fake bass in a recent blog post. I checked out the print they did for you too, awesome!