PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Fishing

Dave B
02-20-2009, 09:25 AM
O.K. -- let's get the message board chatter going. The open water season arrived here in Central Illinois within the past week, but the cold temps overnight put some skim ice back on the ponds last night. I was planning on my first musky fishing of the season this weekend but might put it off until next week. Believe it or not, one of the local lakes is best the first 3 or 4 weeks of the open water. My group will be heading up to Camp the first week of August this summer. All of our prior trips have been earlier (mostly the middle of July). So, we are interested to see if the patterns are any different in August. Any thoughts, comments, or suggestions would be appreciated. One thing I'm interested in knowing is if the big walleye on the shallow rocks pattern would still be viable in August.

Russ Warye
02-20-2009, 05:15 PM
Dave - Glad to see you will be coming to camp in August. As I have noted in previous seasonal reports in the Witch Bay brochure, August is prime time. The key appears to be water temperature and when we have summer seasons where readings move into the 70's...and stay in the 70's we often see superb action. I have noted tongue in cheek at many seminars that muskie fishing on Lake of the Woods begins "around July 15." As explained it is just a way of saying that 70-plus degree water temps gets the Esox metabolism in high gear, bodies are recovered from the rigors of spawning and prey species are abundant. My fishing records show a distinct pattern of success with these magic numbers - 69.5 to 74 degrees. Years like last season (and others recently) have seen cool water temps with readings struggling to hit 70, often remaining in the high 60's for most of July.

Yes, we can get too hot...although it has been a few years when prolonged heat put water temps near or at 80 degrees. With that amount of heat we should probably not fish for muskie because releasing fish successfully at 80 degrees is problematic. Apparently, even though they swim off delayed stress results in high mortality.

Last year, muskie fishing truly began in August...and that's the good news, but every summer is different so we can only wait and see. But we will have a feel for it by early July - cool, normal or hot summer. I don't mean to imply that muskies can't be caught earlier, it is just that a defined pattern has been difficult...and fish have often been caught on bass, walleye or northern pike offerings. It all depends on the warmth of the year....

Weeds are important, weed-rock combinations are important and - in some years - rocks really dominate, even by the first week of August. Again, it is up to the year...because forage tends to be different every year. And if the forage is not available on the cover or structure being targeted, the fish won't be there.

Looking forward to seeing you in early August...as it usually is a time that I return to camp.

Russ Warye

Dave B
02-23-2009, 09:39 AM
Russ -- It goes without saying that we are really looking forward to our trip this summer. But, I am particularly interested in seeing how August pans out for us. Our trips in the middle of July have been what I would describe as inconsistent for musky action. On some years we would hit it just right and find the fish in their full summer patterns, and catch good numbers and size. On others, the fish just weren't organized in their summer patterns just yet, and it made the fishing challenging. We are hoping the first week in August might be a little more predictable/stable as far as patterns.
What about the shallow rock walleye bite? Is that still a possibility in the first week of August. Our group really got to liking the combination of hitting the rock piles for big walleyes and then spending most of the rest of the day looking for muskies.

Russ Warye
02-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Dave - That shallow walleye bite is also temperature dependent...and seemed to be a disappointment last year for groups like the Tennant's (that actually pioneered the concept at Witch Bay). However, we had some good outings throwing big crankbaits in August on windward island shorelines....and this pattern was working with wind...with crashing waves. What I saw last August was a reminder that crankbaits, even 6-inch Grandma or Jake sizes, are a walleye possibility...if the wind is set up and blown in a consistent direction for a couple of days....Just some food for thought....
Russ

Dave B
02-26-2009, 12:27 PM
Russ -- As always, thanks for the response. Your insight is always greatly appreciated. I've caught a number of big walleyes on shallow invaders, the extra large husky jerks, and even one on a suick, while musky fishing. It seems the fish were on the rocks, and usually in the wind. A few years ago we were fishing the rock piles for big walleye and the wind was so strong we had to use the Super Shad Raps (ran out of the SR-9s getting caught in the rocks), and had very good successo with those larger baits. The boys were pleased to hear you will be in camp. We missed you our last couple of trips. See you in August.

fishhateme
02-27-2009, 11:08 AM
Dave B -

Hi. Shot you a PM in your inbox. Thanks.

Jeff

greg_rich
05-27-2009, 04:51 PM
hi there, i am looking forwardto my trip, my parents have been there before, but we are going together on august 27th. Interested in just haveing a good time and catching lots of walleye, bass, pike, and perc. what i really want is good size muskie, my first. Hopefully everthing will work out, the fishing will be good and i will get my long awaited muskie. If there is any baits, or techniques, or anything i need to know, let me know, see you in 3 months, cant wait.

GREG

Jratthelake
05-27-2009, 05:19 PM
Hey Greg, I would be more than happy to help you get your first Musky, I spend almost every evening out chasing those toothy critters and you are more than welcome to come along one evening or maybe we can get a whole day in. Come and see me when you get here and we will figure something out.

Dave B
05-28-2009, 02:37 PM
Greg -- No doubt Wayne will get you plugged in once you get to camp. My group will be in camp the first week of August, and we will be fishing primarily for muskies. When we get back and I get to my computer, I'll post a report. Hopefully that will get you going before you get to camp. If you want to prepare for muskie fishing on Lake of the Woods, the best advice I can give you is to get a copy of Dick Pearson's book, "Muskies on the Shield." Read it about 3 or 4 times, and you will have a pretty good idea of where to begin. Wayne, Ed, and some of the other regulars on the board could fill volumes of threads with lures, techniques, etc. If you've been muskie fishing before, you should be in good shape. If not, post a message, and I'm sure there will be plenty of advice.

greg_rich
05-28-2009, 06:15 PM
I am verry excited from hearing from you Wayne, and Dave, I want to catch it all, but I want to catch one good size muskie, maybe a mount. I have never caught a muskie before, havn"t ever fished for one, but people who have caught a muskie are few and far between, and I want to be one of the few. Please tell me about what size line, lures, and any other info you have for all species, especiaaly muskie. preetty much all the gear I should bring. Also will August 27th be good fishin?
thank you greg

Jratthelake
05-28-2009, 07:07 PM
You may get many answers from many people on what to bring so here are some of the basics.

For Walleye, Perch and Bass 6 lb test mono or fireline will be just fine. A 5 to 7 foot medium to medium light action with a fairly stiff tip will work for casting or jigging. A selection of 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigs, color is not a huge factor but white and pink are both good colors. Smaller spinnerbaits and crankbaits in various sizes are great for casting shorelines.

For Pike fishing I would suggest a 10 or 12 pound mono or a 20 lb braid spooled on a low profile baitcaster, the baitcaster works best for casting bigger lures but is not necessary, a 7 ft spinning rig with a larger spinning reel will work fine. A selection of larger spinner baits and some #4 and #5 mepps spinners along with some spoons and a few stickbaits is probably all you need to catch fish. Most importantly you will need the proper release tools, a large coated net, long pliers, your camera and a decent pair of polorized sunglasses are a must for Pike and Musky fishing.

This being your first experiences with Musky I would suggest using one of my rigs and I have a ton of baits you can use as well, If you are looking to gear up before comming out I would suggest a 7 ft medium heavy to heavy baitcaster with 60 to 80 lb Braided line and a couple of titanium 9 or 12 inch leaders. But again for your first trip up here you are more than welcome to use my gear.

I hope this helps a little and I am sure others will chime in. We will see you in August Greg.

Dave B
05-29-2009, 11:22 AM
Greg -- If I were you, I'd take Wayne up on his offer. If you were like me, you would be spending thousands of dollars on all sorts of great looking lures and equipment. I'm must warn you, once you start buying muskie lures, there is no stopping and no cure. If you want to buy a decent rod and reel combo, take a look at the Bass Pro Shops Pete Maina combo. It's relatively inexpensive, and decent quality. If you want to, and have the budget to, buy a complete package of rod, reel, lures, etc., take a look Rollie and Helen's package deal. I prefer the 80 lb superbraid line, like a Power Pro. I also use 100 lb. leaders, either a single strand (piano wire type) or a flurocarbon one (I prefer the ball bearing swivels). A basic collection of lures for fishing LOTW would be (1) bucktails (silver and black mepps tandem musky killer, 1 or 2 double #10 blade bucktails (double cow girls), and a musky sized spinnerbait (like the Pearson's grinder), (2) top water (top raider, doc or jackpot), (3) crankbait (shallow invader, Double D, 8" Jake), (4) jerkbaits (suick (unweighted), squirko or reef hawg).
When it comes to what to get/bring for the other species, check out the section of the "Fishing Info" section of the website and the suggested equipment. It is pretty thorough. My favorite lures for casting and/or trolling for smallmouth, northerns and walleye are shad-raps (SR-9 and SR-7 sizes), and husky jerks. Northerns seem to love bass-sized yellow spinnerbaits. Soft plastics work great for smallmouth.

Ed Petro
05-29-2009, 03:24 PM
Greg, You are already getting some great advice from Russ, Dave B, and Wayne and if you want more please look up the fishing info, catagory on the left menu and scroll down to the bottom page : Recommended Equipment and Tackle for your Trip. Many of us regulars and the pro's who come up to the camp will all tell you the same thing; you can read all the books ever published about muskie fishing, watch every video ever produced, but the true lessons come from time on the water. Keep in mind that you are not just out there fishing, but hunting the king of fresh water. It's a cat and mouse game that requires a good startegy, patience, and stamina. Loose you your concentration for a split second and that's when you will miss your trophy. When you arrive camp you will have one of the WBC staff members mark up your map to identify the hazards and key areas to work. I suggest that you also get in one of their boats and absorb as much information as possible. From there let your instincts take over and with some luck you will hopefully put a tap on your first trophy. Good Luck and good fishing. .....Ed

greg_rich
05-29-2009, 04:26 PM
no I have never fised for muskie befor, so lures, line, rod, and any oter advice you can give would be much appriciated
tankyou greg

greg_rich
05-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Thankyou everybody, for your suggestions and information. Wayne I will take you up on your offer, and generocity, I would love to take day to go fishing with you and maybe an evening or two. I look at the catalog everyday and see all those fish I want to catch. All I want is a 24 inch Smallmouth, a 30 inch Walleye, a 40 inch Pike, and a 48 inch muskie or bigger! Hey so I like to dream. I am goin fishin tommorrow here in Iowa, we have a private lake, I will catch Largemouth Bassand Crappie. Anymore info you have will be appreciated, I will be on everyday
thanks Greg