PDA

View Full Version : Pressure crack off Terrace access

The Bait Shop Guy
02-18-2009, 05:36 PM
I was about to go fish off the Terrace this afternoon (I've had some good days in the past during cruddy weather like this,) when I was informed a pressure crack formed off the access last night. A guy I know drove off of there last night, and all was well. When he came back in, there was a heave he didn't want to cross, (he ended up driving all the way up to Gladstone to get off the ice.

Anyway, I went to check it out. The heave is just past the reed beds near shore. There's no way to drive around it. The water is less than 2 feet deep there, so it's PROBABLY solid ice, and you could PROBABLY drive over it directly off the access. Since I was there by myself without another vehicle to pull me off if I got stuck, I didn't attempt it. A little work with a spud is all it would take to take the top off the ridge and make it passable again. Today was not the day to do that kind of work, though.

Will let you know when it's passable again.

The Bait Shop Guy
02-19-2009, 07:27 PM
Well, all I can say is that heave is just a shadow of it's former self! When I checked it out Wednesday night, it was a good 3 to 4 feet high. Checked it again tonight, and it was less than a foot tall and very easy to cross!

We only got about 4 inches of snow down on this end of the bay. With the strong north wind, most of it blew off the ice. Only minor drifts on the open ice - pretty big ones built up around the shacks, though. No problem getting around in a truck. Sleds and quads should be able to get around easily, too.