PDA

View Full Version : Sand muskies

Red Childress
02-12-2009, 12:23 PM
I have been doing some research on muskies caught around sand bars, particularly the sand around Mille Lacs with(and sometimes without) sparse weed growth. I don't really have any sand bars to target where I fish but I was wondering if any of you have ever had success fishing the sand??

Just trying to see if the same holds true here in the East......the closest thing I have to sandy bottoms also has gooey silt mixed in with it.

jah1317
02-12-2009, 02:29 PM
Red, the bulk of French Creek and Cussewago is your gooey sand/silt atleast the areas that hold musky. In the spring, I usually end up nailing atlease one pike in the sandy/silty "bay" infront of my parents house which tops at 3' deep with some old weeds and a few larger rocks here and there. I don't know that we have that type of structure commonly here in the east I suspect what you and I have is our version. What about Conneaut Lake? I believe it has a few sandbars anyone in the know about those?

Jacob

HBmusky
02-15-2009, 06:25 PM
There are areas of silt/sand tops on the rivers of Pa were I fish .though natural deposites, through the the years I have found that they do hold fish alot of times big ones mostly the areas with deeper water acess or adjacent to cover or rock mixing. Some of these areas are shallow 1-2 feet deep I refer to them as the flats. you have to approch them way out to cast that is ,but year after year I catch fish there . from spring to late october , In spring jerk baits rubber baits as the waters warms then in late June I through top water and do well could not get me to through anything eles at that time hooked to many good fish.

HBmusky
02-19-2009, 09:12 AM
has anyone had any wied behavor like that ? maybe I was looking in to it to much? any opions ?