PDA

View Full Version : Tackle Review - Shimano Calcutta 700TE

Paul Schlagel
02-10-2009, 09:28 PM
Here's the next installment of the tackle reviews. In an effort to pass the winter months constructively, I'll continue to share my two cents on new lures, rods, reels, etc. that I used during the '08 season.

Last summer I added a post about the 700 TE to a long thread about reels. I have such strong positive feelings about this reel that I thought I'd add another review here.

The Shimano Calcutta 700TE is not a new reel. It was new for me in the '08 season. I got my hands on a second-hand one in the middle of the summer and loved it. In my opinion, this is the best reel I've ever used. Period. The best all-around reel ever made has been the Calcutta 400TE, and it's still probably the best reel for most people, but I personally am now liking the 700TE even better. It's a bigger reel, which is why it might not be for everyone. I got used to using the Garcia 7000 iCS Pro Rocket so I'm accustomed to a larger, heavier reel. The 700TE does everything the Pro Rocket does, but does it 10x better. The ratio is fairly low, 4.7:1, so there's lot's of power for pulling the double-10 baits and others that pull hard. The monster-sized power handle helps too. But in spite of the low ratio, it still pulls in 31 inches of line per turn of the handle because of the larger spool size. So it has both speed and power, how can you beat that? Since it's a Calcutta TE, it is super silky smooth. Like I said, it's a bigger reel with a larger frame and weighs in at 19.0 oz. That's still several ounces lighter than the Garcia 7000. The frame is more comfortable too, with rounded edges that feel better in the hand than the angular shape of the Garcia.

The reliability of this reel will probably be outstanding. The 400TE has been a bomb-proof super reliable reel for me for many years. I have a lot of them and they all have a zillion hours of use on them. They never let me down. The 700TE has a bigger, stonger construction and will most likely hold up even better.

The real drawback is the price. It's $389. This reel is a lifetime purchase, though. The ordinary musky angler won't wear this thing out in ten lifetimes of fishing. If you're ever in the boat with me just ask to use it, you'll see why I like it.

tomcat
05-05-2009, 09:36 PM
I agree with paul on this one...700TE is money. it's the only reel i own that i have not broke yet and i have had it for a few years now.

i have owned so many different reels for musky fishing only to be disappointed with just about everyone one of them. they all break...but my 700 TE has held up to some serious abuse (ripping pounders, burning double 10's). i am use to the big reels, so that doesnt bother me but others feel it's big for casting..
it's a super nice reel for musky fishing.

MrMike
05-26-2009, 11:21 AM
Hey Paul, I took you advice about purchasing a Shimano Calcutta 700 CTE last year to mainly pull double 10s. I couldn't be happier the reel made a big difference-thanks. The only downside is the size and price and the fact that you must manually engage the reel. Have you looked into the Shimano Calcutta CTE 400 LJV yet? It's smaller and I don't think you have to manually engage the reel. The downside is the price, $409. Let me know your thoughts.

-Mike

Paul Schlagel
05-28-2009, 12:41 AM
I'm glad to hear that 700 TE is working well for you. I haven't used the LJV yet. If you try the LJV be sure to let me what you think.