PDA

View Full Version : Lowrance

ttabaleulb
02-09-2009, 07:20 PM
I have been kicking around the idea of upgrading my fishfinder to include one with a GPS. I was just on the Lowrance website and it looks like the models that I am familiar with are listed as "Discontinued". Does anyone know exactly what that might mean? Should I look into a Humminbird instead? If so, what models have you guys used and might recommend?

Jay

NitroMusky
02-09-2009, 11:55 PM
I have the humminbird 595c and really like it-not one of the monster large ones but it has all the features I want, except that you cant use the GPS and the 'flasher' graph at the same time.

downfall could be that it doesn't have an integrated GPS puck like the 700 series does, but just mounted mine with silicone.

think they have a newer one with an even higher DPI too. good luck

Red Childress
02-10-2009, 08:09 AM
I had a Humminbird back in the mid-90's for about 2 days and sent it back. Just did not like it. I like Lowrance stuff but I have heard great stuff about the side-imaging technology in the Humminbird models.

My 2 cents........

Jim_Bortz
02-10-2009, 08:29 AM
I have an LMS 500 series sonar/GPS in my boat with a Navionics map card. Having the GPS capability to return to the exact spot again is very cool. What's not so cool is most of the lake maps for this part of the world aren't even close. Paid over $100 for the map card and on most of the waters I fish, it's 50 to 150 yards off!!!! :mad: That's a lot of dough to drop on a map card that shows your boat in the middle of the parking lot while you're actually 50 yards off the launch ramp warming the outboard up.

Most of the mapping companies are from the upper Midwest and don't give a hoot about our water.

NitroMusky
02-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Red- yes up until a few years ago the Humminbird stuff was junk, but by most accounts from those willing to give it a fair shake say that now their stuff is just as good if not better in some cases than the others- in particular the side imaging technology is unbeatable, but thats too rich for my blood!

Jim- I've had the same issues with the mapping card. I was wacthing a vid last month on the M1st site of an interview with a rep from Navionics and apparently some of the problems have to do with the quality of the DNR maps they use and also with the conversion process to electronic media. he mentioned that they have solved that problem and are in the process of updating the maps, but haven't been able to find out exactly which have been as of the '09 version. to your point, he said that the MW are updated now. I just use them as a general guide-I'd never try trolling tight to structure with them regardless. However The lakes they map themselves in HD are amazing, just wish they had more.

ttabaleulb
02-10-2009, 10:04 AM
Thanks for the info guys. The boats that I have fished from have had the Lowrance products and I really liked the features. My main concern is why the website was showing those products as discontinued. I'll try giving them a call to get clarification. Just want to make sure that they still plan to support those items.