PDA

View Full Version : Rod length question

Red Childress
02-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Have any of you recently converted over to the longer (7'6" - 9'6") musky rods??

Just wondering if this fad is as popular here in the East as it is in the Midwest.....

Some of the walleye pros have been making a switch to longer rods over the past several years but for different reasons/applications, of course.

muskie24/7
02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Yea Red, I have always used the longer 8'6" to 9'6" UL while trout fishing the Yough. I just switched over to an 8'6" muskie rod, and I love it! I will be putting more in the boat(s) real soon. I'm not sure what brand yet! Whoever has a good product, And is willing to work with me I suppose!

Thanks, Brian

R Findlan
02-04-2009, 09:20 AM
I began using an 8ft St Croix Avid last spring and really like it so I got the 8'6" Big Dawg which i used last fall for swimbaits and crankbaits. This made figure 8s so easy so I'm getting the Sling Blade for spinners this year. I would recommend to anyone to switch to a longer rod. It does seem crazy to use rods this long but once you do there is no going back because it makes every aspect of casting easier.

Reed

jah1317
02-04-2009, 09:36 AM
I am currently using a 7' rod and I am thinking that I will not be going much longer until I get a boat because I fish by wading or off the banks and I am having a tough time getting a full swing in as it is now. I do fish from my kayak and canoe frequently but I am not sure I will see an advantage there. I will always keep atleast one "short" rod on hand even if I move to longer rods and get a boat because you never know.

Jacob

R Findlan
02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
I also do a lot bank fishing through the winter and use a 6'9" rod. I tried a longer one but also ran into the problems of hitting branches and brush when casting.

Reed

jah1317
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
yeah, it's interesting when you clip a branch and your lure hangs up, and swings back towards you....... gets the blood flowing. I am a bank fisherman, I always will be, I grew up wading and throwing from shore, that will never go away! Besides, I don't like fishing lakes that much deep, still water gives me the creeps! I am sure freud would have something to say about that....

stushsky
02-04-2009, 12:16 PM
i went to the longer, 8'10" custom croix legend rods at the beginning of last season and i am "hooked"! not that i prefer to do it but if i choose to i can easily lean back on the forward pedestal / butt rest in a deep-v boat and have enough rod length to do figure eights. overall casting is easier for me with the longer rods and i beleive balancing them also makes a huge difference. all of my "short" rods are long gone...sold them all! where some say they went "long" but still use a shorter rod for jerkbaits personally i don't find much difference using any bait with the longer rods...

RapRunR
02-04-2009, 01:35 PM
After using noodle rods for steelheads i tried them a few years back for eyes and muskies. The control i have over a fish using an 8 or 9 footer imo is of no comparison with a shorter rod. It certainly does make you more aware of everything around you while casting so as to not "catch" the branches or weeds, lol. It takes a little getting used to but after you do for me there's no turning back. I do have a 7 footer i use for eyes that i like a lot being a light rod. My 9 for muskies works very well !! What i really like is the ease of doing figure 8's and some of the rip rap i can hold the rod out and run the lure right along the edge which i can't do with a 6 or 7. Love that 9 footer !!

HBmusky
02-04-2009, 02:18 PM
I use mostly 7/0 to 7/6 heavy Esox rod .I have been thinking of a 8 footer . These two rods have served me well though.Thanks for the great forum .

Red Childress
02-05-2009, 09:02 AM
Glad you like it, HB. Thanks for joining the board.

I have been very satisfied moving to longer rods but I am a little over 6 feet tall and usually fish from the highest area in the boat so they work best for me under those conditions. We have had difficulty converting following fish in clear water so this year I am going to start my figure-8's and/or big C's and S's further away from the boat (another advantage of the longer rod) to see if we could be spooking them somewhat. Many clients do not have sufficient polarization in their glasses so seeing the fish from a distance must be very difficult therefore reducing the chances of converting fish.

stushsky
02-05-2009, 09:38 AM
hi red,
speaking of sunglasses, i have been using the h20's with the three different lense colors and they have been good so far. i have heard alot about some higher priced shades featuring a backwater green lense color. do you have any experience with that color? in dingy water it seems the h20's in any of the colors doesn't quite "get it". am i asking too much for a color that helps much in dingy water?
thanks,
stan

Red Childress
02-05-2009, 10:44 AM
I had H20's for a few years and then switched to H3Optix and I like them better. I do not have much experience with other models but I do know that if you have the extra cash, the Ocean Waves (glass lens and heavier) are some of the best on the market. Price range retail is around 240-270.00 the last time I checked. I think all glasses have some limitations because if the light is not penetrating under the surface, we cannot see.......even if the glare is removed from the surface via polarization.

I have kept the gray lens in for very bright days and then switch to the light amber for low light conditions. I can see follows (in clear water) very well plus I can run the boat after dark when the big mayflies and caddis hatches are coming off without crashing my boat.

I have to stay away from the glass lenses because they hurt my cauliflower ears after a full day of fishing.

stushsky
02-05-2009, 11:16 AM
red,
i did a search for H30ptx glasses and came up empty. do you have a website where i can find them?
thanks,
stan

Red Childress
02-05-2009, 02:44 PM
Rollie and Helen's has them on their site and the back pages of MH Magazine usually has an advertisement for them.

They run 109.00 or so and come with a hardcase, 3 sets of lens, cleaning cloth and the strap to hang them on your neck.

Red Childress
02-06-2009, 08:35 AM
Stan,

I know what happened.........they are not called H3Optix, they are just H3O Polarized sunglasses. There is a nice web site. I have been using the Storm model after switching from the Tsunami. The Storm wrap around a little better on my melon head.

ttabaleulb
02-08-2009, 03:19 PM
I initially started with a 6'10" Musky rod which works just fine and was my first one. I opted for an 8' Okuma for a second rod and love it. It took a little to get used to, but I really dig how much it helps with the 8's. Plus, that thing REALLY whips the bladed baits with ease.

I also broke down and bought the H3O's last Fall. i have only used them a handful of times so far, but I notice quite an improvement over the last glasses that I had. Plus, they are so light that I even forget I have them on most of the time. I haven't even tried swappin out the lenses yet since I have only fished them in bright conditions so far.

HBmusky
02-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Nice thread, Red, I to like to get as high as I can being on the rivers I geuss you just feel compelled? I like all the rods they seem to have atime and place.I feel blind without my optics I recently got a pair of h2os have not tried them yet ,it was a gift from a good friend of mine Brain, and will be put to good use .I make sure though that who ever fishes has a pair on I carry 3 pairs . It makes the difference to new anglers or any to the sport ,It could make the difference between a fair day and a exellent day. I just want them to experience the what I have and do not want them to miss the thrill of the stalk that makes you week at the knees. HB

HBmusky
02-15-2009, 07:06 PM
nice thread, red I to have to get high when fishing the river I geuss I just feel compelled to . I like most all rods I feel they have a time and place.I just got a pair of h2os they were a gift from a good friend of mine Brain I have not got to use them but will put them to good use. I feel blind without mine I have to fish with them.I even think that is important for anyone that fishes with me to have them .I carry 3 pairs of spairs just for that reason not h2o but polerized. I just want them to experience what I do and not miss out onthe thrill of the stalk that makes you week and pumped. I think that it could make a good day a exellent day. HB

Muskiekid
02-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I use 8 footers when trolling, but but not casting.