PDA

View Full Version : Captain Fritz Peterson

Captain Fritz Peterson
02-02-2009, 10:12 AM
Ice fishing is going well. We have one of our shacks on a spot that is producing some real nice Northern. Up to 40 inches plus the last couple of weeks. We are in about 12-15ft. of water in one of the outer bays.

The White Fish bite is excellent along the bay in allot of places. some of the spots you catch both White Fish and Walleyes.

Some big perch are showing up out on the reef and off Ernie's and Choudoirs and depending where you are White fish also.

Ice conditions are much better now. But you still have to watch out for the bigger shoves.
Good Luck
Capt. Fritz

A.Kempka
03-04-2009, 05:45 PM
I'm not about to ask exactly what Bay you caught the Northern in, but if you could give some advice on how to catch them. I Live in Oconto, WI and I have done all of my Ice fishing in the northwoods and upper MI. I know how good the smallmouth fishing will be getting in a few months, and I have had awesome days out there casting for Northern as well. I have fished the sturgeon Bay Bass Opening Tournament the past for years. So I have good idea's where might be good spots to try for big pike but I've never ice fished for them. I was wondering if you had any suggestions on what type of bait fish they are mainly feeding on and what bait I should start with?? Also how much ice is still out there, is it safe for truck travel? Any advice you could give would be helpful and very much appreciated!

Captain Fritz Peterson
03-09-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi
We use Golden Shiners mostly. One of the other things we do is use light line like 10 or 12lb test with a number 10 or 12 Gamakutsu treble. No leader and yes we do loose some fish, but we get lots of bites and do land 20lb. fish you jsut have to play them out.

I know this is alittle unorthadox but it works for us.
Let me know how you do.
Capt. Fritz

PS. we have been in about 12-18ft. of water.