PDA

View Full Version : Where to fish?, where to fish?

Lieut. shinysides
02-01-2009, 02:21 PM
Well, that always seems to be the biggest decision doesn't it? I started out the season fishing off of Saunder's point and did OK. Lately I've bounced around alot with little success.
My questions are, is anybody still doing well off of Kipling or the yellow gate?
It seems like alot of shacks are moving south and into deeper water. Is this how the walleyes are moving?
I've also been looking for some whitefish. Is there a good place to fish walleyes in the morning and evening and whitefish in the midday?
Thanks for any suggestions.

slammer
02-01-2009, 03:29 PM
Well, Lieut.

That's a mighty fine question and have been asking myself that a lot lately everytime I'm not catching anything and the last 3 weeks I and many others are asking the same Question. Best bet for Combo fishing like you want for whities and walleyes would probably be off the Terrace anywhere along the first break where you see a line of shacks. Have been doing this myself but with little luck lately , but it's gotta get better soon. If you don't want to be moving and fish both species throughout the day that's where I'd go. You can mark fish all day but trying to get them to bite is another story lately.
Good luck and let us know how ya did. Slammer!!!!

raywriter
02-01-2009, 11:05 PM
I fished north this morning, near the Days River in ten feet over the old weedbeds. Result, 6 perch landed and one walleye lost on two pound test line on a rig I was working for perch. Marked a lot of fish for the number caught. We could see some of the fish through the clear water. I think the real problem We faced is that I used my portable shanty and the wind kept snapping the sides loudly and moving the base somewhat. Maybe that spooked the fish? It was shallow. The best presentation was a small orange spoon with waxworms. I had a larger shiner minnow down at all times, but it got no action.

Lieut. shinysides
02-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Well, a full days efforts netted only one whitie off the terrace. But there were a few left behind too. Had a few lookers. How's the whitefish situation been closer to Esc.-Sand point, ore docks area?

FishinMachine
02-04-2009, 01:20 PM
Hey RayWriter, were you right off the mouth of the days river along that break in the 9-15 FOW range becuase i would like to take my little cousin out fishing this weekend who hasn't did to much ice fishing ever and i figured some perch would be the best bet. But i have not found a decent perch spot yet. but i would also like to have him catch some keepers and if i go by buttlers island all the perch their are almost too small to bite the hook.

raywriter
02-04-2009, 05:57 PM
We went straight out on the main road from the access, then set up a little closer to the shore from the first shanties there, and a little south of the road. Ice was very thick, but we could see bottom by closing up the shanty windows. I jigged a large Bay de Noc Tackle Company "Laker Taker" spoon for a minute or so as an attractor, then switched to a small teardrop style spoon (orange) with two red spikes on the hook first, followed by a waxworm hooked once through the middle. Thats the rig they wanted.

FishinMachine
02-05-2009, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the info, i'll give it a try. What size perch did u catch?