PDA

View Full Version : If you could choose anyone........

Red Childress
01-29-2009, 03:23 PM
If you could choose any fishing partner (for a day of fishing) who would it be??

Included in this dream vacation would be:

1) Utilization of his/her boat
2) Fishing his favorite spots on his favorite water

Little35
01-29-2009, 04:39 PM
I was thinking, Al Linder.

BACALA
01-29-2009, 04:46 PM
Mike Ikonelli....i Know I Could Out Fish Him And Teach Him A Couple Of Pointers...

Trooper
01-29-2009, 08:40 PM
I would have to go with the legend, Babe Winkelman.

b.bent66
01-29-2009, 09:13 PM
if i was after musky pete mania
for walleye ted takasaki

RapRunR
01-30-2009, 01:38 AM
Linder or Stange

toothyfishman
01-30-2009, 06:35 AM
RapRunR,

I'll have to second you......Stange

muskie24/7
01-30-2009, 06:49 AM
This is a loaded question fellas! YOU RED, OF COURSE!!!!! You other guys who said someone else, nice knowin you! You'll be blocked from the site by NOON TODAY!!!!! LMAO

Brian:p

Red Childress
01-30-2009, 08:07 AM
The guy has to have an IQ over 75......that excludes me from the competition!!

I am still thinking about my choice.....Got it narrowed down to 3 guys so far.

Jim_Bortz
01-30-2009, 08:34 AM
Jessica Alba. I don't care if she fishes or not! I'd probably run the boat aground staring at her butt. HA! :D

R Findlan
01-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Doug Johnson on LOTW, 45years of guiding experience on this water, what a trip that would be.

Red Childress
01-30-2009, 09:26 AM
I will have to go with Mike Lazarus on Ontario/Quebec waters. He is the real deal and loves to chase HUGE fish.... plus, Jody Mills speaks very highly of him.

the yeti
01-30-2009, 11:07 PM
steve voigt
jack burns
dick pearson

maina (minus that loud guy thats always with him).

muskie24/7
01-31-2009, 10:21 AM
Hey Red, I saw him on Musky Hunter! His style of holding the rod and using the reel sure looks uncomfortable. He has a unique style for sure! There are probably others who hold it this way, but its the first time I ever saw it!

I think I would go with James Linder! He just seems like he would be alota fun, and he knows how to catch fish. He would have to leave his buddie Dan Shura at home though, For some reason that guy gets on my nerves!...LOL

Most of the others that you guys have mentioned have been calling me like crazy to take them fishing, I don't wanna have to show'em up though...LMAO

Brian

psv
01-31-2009, 07:55 PM
Hello Red,
If you are out of the list, then my choice is Lee Tauchen.
Regards, Arkadiy

Mark G.
02-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Since Red is off the list I am going with Jim Bortz and Jessica Alba if he can get her onboard. This way if Jim gets knocked overboard I will be there to throw him a PFD and get his boat and Jessica back to the ramp!

Red Childress
02-02-2009, 11:34 AM
Since you are talking about how JB "might" get knocked overboard, you need to be careful since it sounds very much like you have a premeditated strategy for his demise...:)

Mark G.
02-02-2009, 12:06 PM
JB knows I would be there 100% for him and to ensure his boat and gear were safe just in case that were to happen. Jessica's tending to would be purely secondary...the musky fishing comes first!

luke
02-16-2009, 03:23 PM
I could not find somone better that Carl Owner Ciccone. Carl ownes a camp above Kennerdale and has shown me how to catch monster bass off his lucky rock. He is slowing getting into Musky fishing now that I showed him how it is done. He is working on getting a new jet boat to take us up river where the big brown trout and Musky hang out.

HBmusky
02-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Man thats a tuff one , I would like to go with Mike the Ike, if he woould trade his bass rod for a musky rod .I think that would be a crazy wicked good time .I would probaly have to were my helmet , you Know the one I use at home.

allegheny river kid
02-19-2009, 10:45 PM
This is a tough one but one i often think about
#1 Doug Stange
#2 Marc Thorpe on the St. Lawrence River
#3 Doug Johnson on LOTW

muskie52
02-21-2009, 06:00 AM
Newbie here.....been lurking awhile and the winter blues have finally made me decide to post.

Anyway, my top three picks are:
Dick Pearson...LOTW
Doug Johnson...LOTW
Marc Thorpe...ST.Larry & Ottowa Rivers (Again ha ha)

I fished with Marc for 3 days in 2007 and had a blast. My dad, my brother, and myself caught 9 in 3 days.

The 1st day my dad caught the only one (and his FIRST musky) ....but what a fish. It was a 55" pig.

The 2nd day I caught the only one (upper 30"s)

The 3rd day was simply phenominal......7 fish in less than 6hrs. Four of them between 45-48".

I learned more in those 3 days with Marc that I thought possible. Great experience and FUN!!!

catchandrelease
09-28-2010, 03:19 PM
Doug Stange? Really?

Lee Tauchen without a doubt. Jason Hamernick and Joe Bucher would round out my top three. I'll post my real list of who I'll share the boat with when I win the lottery.

suskymusky50
09-28-2010, 04:30 PM
That's a tough question. I would like to fish with all the great fisherman listed above. I am sure they all do things a little differant than each other, and I'm sure they have a niche where they excell. The learning possabilities would be endless.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
09-28-2010, 09:18 PM
i'm gonna have to go with tanner wildes since i'm a river guy

Ivan
09-29-2010, 07:32 AM
I would also choose to fish with Mike Lazarus. He's the man as far as numbers of big fish go and it's like he's got some type of sixth sense or something. You just don't hear much about it and that's the way he wants it. I am surprised to see him on Musky Hunter and in the magazine now. That must have taken some serious convincing on Saric's part. I had a chance to go out with him through a freind that had a trip booked, but I decided not to go. I've heard that he and Marc are very protective of the waters they fish and certainly would not ever want to see you back where you fished with them. I figured someday I'll just try those areas on my own, but even that will most likely ruffle some feathers at the very least, from what I've heard.

Larry Jones
09-29-2010, 10:54 AM
I would also go with Mike Lazorus in December on the Ottawa River and Steve Herbec on Eagle Lake in late October!

Trauts
09-29-2010, 07:39 PM
I've heard that he and Marc are very protective of the waters they fish and certainly would not ever want to see you back where you fished with them. I figured someday I'll just try those areas on my own, but even that will most likely ruffle some feathers at the very least, from what I've heard.

I certainly understand not showing a client ALL the good spots, off the bat. I have been guided by a person who became a good friend, almost family member, and have been going on trips with him for 11 years, and he STILL hasn't shown me all of them, but he doesn't get bent out of shape if I hit one of them when I am not with him.

Last I checked the water belonged to ALL OF US, and pin heads who try and claim they "own" a certain section or body of water really ruffle my feathers.

You pay good money to a guide to learn 3 things:

1. Where to fish.
2. What techniques to use on that body of water to be successful.
3. How to refine those techniques to become more successful.

Given what you said about those guys I wouldn't go out with them no matter how good they are.

Give me my buddy and Red any day over them.

Just my humble opinion.

muskie52
09-29-2010, 09:24 PM
I fished with Marc during the summer of 2007. He had no problem at all if we wanted to go back to the spots he took us. He just didn't want us (brother, dad, and I) to share the information on the internet for all to see. From what I understand, it's the locals (not guides) that have a problem with non-locals fishing the area. I've read on other boards that vehicles with non-local plates parked at launches have a tendency to get vandalized. Marc did have a problem the second day with locals trying to follow him around on the water.

Tony

ttabaleulb
09-29-2010, 10:06 PM
Man, hearing some of this stuff is quite disturbing. I've already had a run in this year with someone "tampering" with my boat while I was on a fishing trip. It had me pissed off for weeks afterward and I still get fired up just thinkin about it.

Even with Musky action over the weekend, one of the highlights was seeing a Golden Eagle (at least I'm 99% sure) while on the lake. Man, if I start losing the enjoyment of just being out there and in the chase for fish, I might as well just be at work. LOL

Red Childress
09-30-2010, 11:09 AM
Spence Petros would be another guy who peaks my interest.

As for the other issues concerning someone claiming an area of water as "theirs", it does happen. Having your cake and eating it too is a tough sell when paying REAL money for a guide. (We hired Steve last summer on Vermilion and did not even fish with him but just drove around for 3 hours marking waypoints.....that is all we cared about.) It took me a couple of years to get used to seeing former clients cruising around in some of "my" spots but such is life. I certainly do not own the river.

You just hope that they are C/R guys and respect the area/resource as much as I do. I had promised myself when I started to guide that I would be a "catch and release only" deal for the muskies/pike.....added trout to the list in 2006. Yes, it has cost me some considerable business but that is OK.

Note: I am not inferring that anyone mentioned in this thread thinks they own the water in which they guide.

Some are very protective of their waterway and I can understand both sides of the issue.

Red Childress
04-07-2011, 08:07 AM
Larry Dahlberg is another guy who would be great. Fishing for anything in the Amazon river basin with him would be an incredible adventure.

EMA-SON
04-07-2011, 09:48 AM
My choice would be Jeremy Wade (the guy on River Monsters). It would be nice to catch some once in a lifetime exotic fish and experience differnet culture.

McDunnoftheAllegheny
04-08-2011, 11:01 AM
I would like to hit the water with Jerry Sondag, the guy catchs tons of big fish.

SportJet120
04-08-2011, 08:41 PM
I don't always have to catch big or many fish to have a great day on the water. I think I have the best fishing parnter right now. Besides she owns the boat ! LOL

Stinky Finger
04-09-2011, 04:44 PM
I would choose my Great Uncle, Warren Brown. He passed in '94 just shy of his 100th birthday. Uncle Warren spent his entire life on Sherman's bay, lake Chautauqua. I loved his stories of fishing on the lake in the old days, before outboard motors came into use. They used wooden boats with two sets of oars to troll spoons mostly (what we would call a bucktail spinner today). They also used june bug spinners ahead of live chubs, perch or suckers. The old timers had a technique called skittering that they did with long bamboo rods (no reel) to sweep a live sucker back and forth over the weeds. The sucker would be hooked through the mouth and out one eye so it was at an angle to impart action. Some of these rods had a large cork float about the size of a volley ball just ahead of the butt. When a muskie hit and the hook was set the rod was thrown in and the anglers rowed along following it until the fish tired. Catch and release didn't exist then, they ate every muskie they caught.

wvmuskychick
04-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Anyone who wanted to go fish for some Alligator Gar in TX!!!!! Any Takers!!???

ShutUpNFish
04-21-2011, 12:51 PM
I remember watching a guy by the name of Jerry McGinnis and remember how he was a no nonsense, non BSing type personality. He seemed honest and fished for species most guys on TV weren't after at all. I have a few choices for various reasons really....reasons of integrity and ballsiness combined....

Stange??? You've got to be kidding me...Lindner??? Maybe about 10 years ago...he is just a poster child for advertizers/christianity anymore...ICK! Theres a time and place for everything! Stange Joel???? OMG! I'm so surprised at you!

So #1 for me would be Jerry McGinnis and #2 would be Jose Wajebe the king of saltwater....he is just a cool a$$ dude man.....I'd just love to hang out with him and drink some good wine, eat some good seafood and BS about fishing!

I guess I should address a good muskie related fisherman...None of the ones I see on TV impress me really...Nor any of those guys in search of fame...Pete Maina or Spence Petros would probably be fun to fish with since they seem down to earth, but my first pick would probably be Ed Latiano. Ed died a few years back and lived in my local neighborhood...Hell of a fisherman and hell of a lure maker. I did get to know Ed, but never really got to fish with him since he was too old by the time I picked up the sport heavy 20 some years ago. He was certainly one innovative character for sure....I miss Ed.

Those are my choices...

muskie24/7
04-24-2011, 06:33 AM
I remember watching a guy by the name of Jerry McGinnis and remember how he was a no nonsense, non BSing type personality. He seemed honest and fished for species most guys on TV weren't after at all. I have a few choices for various reasons really....reasons of integrity and ballsiness combined....

Stange??? You've got to be kidding me...Lindner??? Maybe about 10 years ago...he is just a poster child for advertizers/christianity anymore...ICK! Theres a time and place for everything! Stange Joel???? OMG! I'm so surprised at you!

So #1 for me would be Jerry McGinnis and #2 would be Jose Wajebe the king of saltwater....he is just a cool a$$ dude man.....I'd just love to hang out with him and drink some good wine, eat some good seafood and BS about fishing!

I guess I should address a good muskie related fisherman...None of the ones I see on TV impress me really...Nor any of those guys in search of fame...Pete Maina or Spence Petros would probably be fun to fish with since they seem down to earth, but my first pick would probably be Ed Latiano. Ed died a few years back and lived in my local neighborhood...Hell of a fisherman and hell of a lure maker. I did get to know Ed, but never really got to fish with him since he was too old by the time I picked up the sport heavy 20 some years ago. He was certainly one innovative character for sure....I miss Ed.

Those are my choices...

Its a sad day for fisherman when someone would say that about Al Linder! The man is a true Icon!!!!! Having God in your Boat doesn't hurt either! JOSE WAJEBE! P- LEEEEEEEZE! Although it does sound like a nice evening you have planned with him! (TOTALLY KIDDING) LOL!
Brian

ShutUpNFish
04-26-2011, 08:07 PM
I used to like Lindner a lot better before he started peddling all the products and religion. I have nothing against religion either, I happen to be a pretty devout Catholic myself. As I said before, theres a time and place for everything. He is still a Hell of a fisherman, I just think he is losing it a little...lol

LOL@Jose!! That was funny.

H2O wolf
05-02-2011, 10:59 AM
After ready the Lidner's book "First Light on the Water", I give them a lot of credit for how they ran their business. They turned down money from beer advertising due to their moral convictions when they were trying to get the business going. Looks like God honored that decision. Many cool stories and great pictures in that book. Also some cool fishing quotes. Rollie and Helens used to have it.

http://www.amazon.com/First-Light-Water-Al-Lindner/dp/1932458026