PDA

View Full Version : Releasing Deep Water Fish

duckc.1187
01-27-2009, 10:56 PM
Just thought I'd throw this out there for discussion and opinions, but do released fish in waters deeper than 30 foot live. When we fish deep water we try to bring the fish up slower and keep the time out of water to a minimal. Most the smaller fish shoot right back down but some of the bigger girls take a little time and it might be mostly normal stress and fatigue hard to say. Also when the fishes air gladder expands into its mouth some does that go back to normal? Again just looking for any opinions or if someone has some proven facts on this would be great. In my opinion I think most survive or a least your doing everything you can to give them a chance to survive.

finaddict
01-27-2009, 11:44 PM
The volume of gas (mostly oxygen and nitrogen) in a swim bladder will double in size when a fish is pulled from a depth of about 32 feet because the pressure on the bladder is halved. I believe what you are actually seeing is the stomach of the fish that is extending out of it's mouth...not the swim bladder.

Haven't read too much information on proper "fizzing" techniques to try and release a fish in this condition and I am not sure of the mortality rates if the procedure is followed correctly. Maybe someone else has some ideas.

CaptainKenLee
01-28-2009, 08:33 AM
I've fizzed fish for several years, especially when tournament fishing and bringing in fish from 40 to 70 feet of water. When done properly they seem to do fine, especially after getting "super-charged" with oxygen in the livewell, however, fizzing should only be done if you've been trained to do it otherwise you can do more harm than good. Like Fin said...I'm not sure of the mortality rate of fizzed fish compared to non-fizzed fish, but I like to give them the benefit of the doubt. While ice-fishing I don't fizz fish, if it's a small fish I bring it up slow and release it quickly, if it's a fish too big to keep, we try to release it right away. Less time out of the water means less stress to the fish.

dennzo
01-28-2009, 08:48 AM
Here is a link I found from B.A.S.S.. It should be pretty much the same for most fish.
http://sports.espn.go.com/outdoors/bassmaster/columns/story?page=b_col_bt_1106_fizzing_procedure

CaptainKenLee
01-28-2009, 09:21 AM
On either side of the anal hole you go two scales to the left or right and 5-7 scales forward. Hold the fish upside down in the livewell holding the fizzing needle at a 45 degree angle as you go into the bladder air bubbles will start to come out leave the needle inserted untill all air bubbles are released , remove the needle and let the fish right itself.

18 guage needles are preferred by most.

springfield
01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
If your really carfull when you release them into the hot grease, I've never had a problem.