PDA

View Full Version : Whitefish-Munising Bay?

10# Hunter
01-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Anybody out there have any reports on the Munising Bay? I'm looking for ice conditions or Whitefish activity.

Thanks,
10# Hunter

jigrapper
01-24-2009, 10:14 AM
A friend of mine has been fishing it recently. He has been getting white fish and a few splake. Whitefish running about 9-14 inches and on a good day 8-9 a trip. Ice is around 6 inches. Fishing off the Anna River mostly......

10# Hunter
01-24-2009, 10:32 AM
jigrapper,

Thanks for the info.,just curious what color eggs he is using or wax worms? I fish in Grand Marais and some days certain color eggs work much better than others. I think it's time to make a trip to Munising and turn attention to some whities since the walleyes are a little on the stubborn side. Thanks again!

10 # Hunter (dreamer)

The Bait Shop Guy
01-24-2009, 07:35 PM
Have you tried fishing for them here on LBDN? Lots of whites swimming around in the bay. I've had a number of guys come down here from Munising to fish them lately, if that's any indication of things. Our fish are big, dumb, and hungry - three of my favorite fish characteristics! :D

10# Hunter
01-24-2009, 09:33 PM
I've seen them on the camera while fishing around the mouth of the Esc. river. A friend of mines dad has fished for them by the Esc. river with the same result we had fishing for sir "WALTER". (ZERO,ZIPPO,NUTTING) Is there a specific spot that is any better than any other to fish for them? It's the same distance for me to drive so it wouldn't really matter if I headed South or East. Any info. would be great.

Thank you,

10# Hunter

The Bait Shop Guy
01-25-2009, 11:13 AM
The best spot is off the mouth of the Escanaba harbor in 45 to 70 FOW, (but really, you can catch them anywhere in the bay south of Gladstone.) The main draw for them there is that there are so many people chumming for them in a relatively small area. Just park at the end of Sand Point. It's a short walk out to the deep water. You'll see where everybody is fishing at.

If they would open up the winter access area in the harbor, you could drive a truck right out to where they fish at. For some reason, we have a "golden boat launch" in the harbor that cannot be used as a winter access site (like EVERY other one in the state!) The city has designated a winter access area, but hasn't plowed it all winter. Anybody know who to call to see about fixing that?