PDA

View Full Version : Lodging Question

makins117
01-22-2009, 03:16 PM
Planning on a vacation in September sometime and trying to decide where to stay. Went up in the Fall of 2007 and stayed on the west side at Oak Shores. Did well catching walleye, pike and perch but no musky sightings. I like to fish for all species (for the most part), but of course musky, walleye and potentially bass would be my main targets. Is the west side to far away from the best fishing on the flowage? Am I better off staying on the west side, the east side, or somewhere in the middle (Treelands)? I know most of you are strictly musky, but advice based on all species would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

RobertTB
01-23-2009, 05:19 PM
mankins117, That's a good question that will be debated forever. hahahaha I stay on the West side on Chief Lake. We do well on Pike, bass, crappie, 'gills and every once in a while get some decent Muskies. Having said that, I got my best Muskie on the East side while I was fishing with Ty. One year, I saw a really big Muskie on the West side at Cedar Tops. Sand Island is reputed to hold big fish as well.

I think it really depends on how mobile you are. That is, have you got a boat with a big motor that will cover a lot of water in a short time ? If you can move fast, I don't think it matters a lot which side you stay on. If you anticipate fishing mostly the East side, it seems staying on the East side would be the thing to do.

Kinda' depends too on which side you are more comfortable with and/or more familiar. It's easier for me to fish the West side 'cause I'm more familiar with that side. However, one of the beautys of the Chip is there is always a lot to learn, and finding a "new" spot is a joy. Many years ago, I had a fabulous day on Chief. I had 13 fish up, 3 of them on Stephens Point alone and managed to boat a couple. None of them were realy big, alas.

You might consider Tiger Musky Resort for being pretty close to the middle. I've never stayed there, but I understand it's a pretty nice place.

I think, some years, it's just a toss up as to which side has the better Muskie action. I would venture to say, however, that most guys on this site might consider the East side to be the better side.

Good luck ! Enjoy.

Ty Sennett
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
Robert hit it pretty much on the head. Tiger Musky resort is a good location on the west side and Deerfoot, Golden Fawn, R&R Bayview and Treelands are good on the east side. I'd say Golden Fawn resort is one of the hidden gems out there. It's fairly centered as far as the lake goes. Really sheltered from the wind also.

Treelands and Tiger Musky are two of the most popular and well kept resorts although most are in great shape. There are a lot of great people at the resorts on the Chip. Makes it fun to go in for lunch.

As for the fishing, that Chief Lake area can be difficult for muskie fishing. I've had good and bad years there. There's no telling what you'll get. It's good to be a little more centrally located if you don't have a big motor.