PDA

View Full Version : Muskies and riffles

jah1317
01-21-2009, 09:22 PM
I have been perusing some articals once again to see if there were an nuggets that I had missed the other times I read through and finally found the artical that had some info on muskies laying below rapids/riffles. It pretty much eludes to the fact that the flowing water and increase 02 in the water is a draw for the fish in the summer. The author suggests using a bucktail and letting it pause as you draw it up the current because the like to eat it on the pause. Also gliders like the manta (super shallow) are good for these situations. If you want some more info shoot me an e-mail at sptackleworks@hotmail.com and I will send you a copy of the artical.

Thanks

Jacob

HBmusky
02-22-2009, 10:47 AM
intresting thread I had paterned these fish for years on current driven water.I have caught fish in and below the rapids or turbulant water. They do often hang in these area in the dog days of summer.Often big fish can be found near these area . The areas that they were keying in on were not exterme rapids but riffles or I just call rapids. I have often had better luck trolling these areas with fine detail and navagation. Find the areas were there is related deeper water that it close by they have been keys in the past.If there is related deper water there is a good chance that fish will move up on these rapids and postion them selves were there comfort zone is.I have caught them on smaller baits in these areas ,the j-13 by rapala has been a good trollin lure in these areas perch patern or trout patern has been good . I have caught big muskies on these bait trollin in the smalller rivers,there one of them that make you say hmmmmmmm.. . I have trolled some bucktails in these areas they work fine and are a good choice for trollin or casting rivers very affective trollin weapon in the smaller rivers as is the j-13 casting f-18 is good these are some of them little things most guys will not give up . good luck . this is a good thread and one of them questions that are less explored.. thanks for puting it on the board Herb

Red Childress
02-23-2009, 08:26 AM
As a general rule of thumb, it seems muskies will use current as a natural feeding station and position right along the current seam or close to bottom in order to expend less energy.

In waters with a low amounts of dissolved Oxygen, the muskies will be even closer to these "natural aerators". Higher water temperatures will equate to less dissolved oxygen. The 4 main areas containing increased oxygen levels are: "green" weedbeds, riffles/wave action, cooler creek mouths and areas very near the thermocline when surface temps are approaching 78-80 degrees.

HBmusky
02-23-2009, 10:33 PM
very good facts ,on the susky river I have often keyed in on the creek mouths during the rise in temps .I have generally found the balk of the fish to be located in these areas, at least in the sections I have keyed in on . I have often seen numbers of fish together soaking up them kool waters in large pockets skirting the sides of creek mouths with low water movement. I have noticed that they start stacking in June around and in the creek mouths on the susquahanna .very active during the rain do to it activating the creek in feed ,but I believe that in the hotter months of july and august its do to water temp changes . I have a friend that will not make the travel unless its raining. I am sure you key in on this but I would like to hear your further thought on it . HB

Red Childress
02-24-2009, 08:42 AM
Well, the temperature differential between the Susky (during summer) and the Yellow Breeches or the Loyalsock is such that the muskies/walleye/smallies cannot resist the oxygen rich and cooler water coming out of those creeks. It is all about survival.

On the flip side, I used to fish the confluence of Fishing Creek and Bald Eagle creek in the Lock Haven area........the mouth of Fishing Creek was a fish magnet during the hottest part of summer and the coldest part of winter. Fishing Creek had a consistent temperature in the mid-50's which is very warm when compared to Bald Eagle Creek with ice chunks floating down it in February.

Visibility plays a big part too. Flooded creek mouths (from high river water) will generally be cleaner and more apt to hold Esox in the clean stream water whereas the walleye will position along the mud line (using the mud as camouflage) and use their refined vision to feed on the minnows pulling into the cleaner water.

Muskiekid
02-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I know very little about fishing for toothycritters in rivers (I've been fishing lakes for them), but have all of the popular books, videos, etc. There's not a whole lot around specifically about river fishing for them. However, River Predators by Dan Gapen seems to be a pretty good one. At $8.95 I purchased it whether I fish rivers or not!! Here's a link to it: http://www.gapen.com/books-videos2.html (Not sure if I'm allowed to put links on about this kind of thing. Please forgive me if this is "against the rules.")

HBmusky
02-24-2009, 11:10 PM
The rivers are a different breed if you would ask me . I grew up on the rivers of pa. and fish both lakes and rivers being on the river alot you learn and see alot of thing. In my seminars and on segments I have done for tv I often say that the rivers are overwhelming to alot of anglers looking for musky. It does not have to be like that . If you think were would a musky be well what habits are known ,they have to feed ,there primarilly asight feeder , there tempture sensitive,there current sentive there is alot more I could go into but lets apply these things . depending on time of the year a good place to start would be any creek mouths that flow into the river big or small . This is one of the best places to look in uncharted waters. The factors all come in to play in these area .I preach these area hard because it produces fish without discrestion. Its not just the mouth but all around the contact of the water coming from the creek. I have seen on many ocassions just down from the creek were waters mix changing temps fish laying or just off to the side of the oncoming water were the current is almost no existing.They will postion themselve though out that area even in the creek mouth. Brigde piers are often a favorite also on the down side you have alot of factors coming into play there. I have often seen large fish come from the middle river pirs. Rivers natural water current breaks wich a sonar could come into play because there not always visible by the eye. they are simply something cuting the current underneath the water. If these are large often creating a belly behind it or hole that is a attraction to other speices wich in return feeding at will .These thing are a good place to start and theres guy on this sight that know things and will share . I hope I helped a little, Herb

Red Childress
02-25-2009, 08:23 AM
We cannot overlook the fact that even though they are classified as sight feeders, their hearing is exceptional. I did not realize how much their hearing came into play until I read about a study (years ago) where the retina was detached on several muskies. The goal of the study was to see if muskies with vision did in fact feed better than muskies without vision.

The result: muskies who were blind fed just as often and were in great health when compared to the ones with normal vision. Their refined lateral line allows them to hear well enough to feed with precision, no matter the water clarity. Adapting the presentation to help them find your bait is crucial during periods of "chocolate water" or at night.

Some of the largest pike I have caught were at night as well. I really think the BIG pike act more like a musky than a pike. Probably has something to do with the refinement of their lateral line as they become more mature.

The structure of a muskies' lateral line is more intricate. They have a few more pores along the jaw/nasal area than a pure-bred pike. Thus, they can hear a little better than a pike can.