PDA

View Full Version : I'm convinced!!!!

slammer
01-15-2009, 07:49 PM
I'm convinced, I really do suck at ice fishing. Went out today and all set up way before prime time, just off the west bank off the Terrace all alone with out anybody near me. My partner and myself set up right off the break.
One tip up in 42 feet and another in 24 feet and we were set up in the middle at 36 feet jigging till our arms got sore. Finally at 4:30 we marked a nice fish for about 10 secs. and that was it until 5:30 till 5:50 we marked fish pretty consistantly. You name it we threw it at em again and not even a dink. Used every new lure made! Ice Darters, Moon Shines , Raps, Wobblers, tiped , untiped , fast , still , slow , rip the lips , and kiss my ass. Have not caught a fish in a week. What the hell!!! Thought the full moon is over and they gotta eat sometime . Also went because I wanted bragging rights to fishing on one of the coldest days of the year, looking back , stupid move on my part. But , I'm just dumb enough to go out tomorrow somewhere else and try it again because evidently I enjoy pain and agony and cussing and swearing down an 8 inch hole , and hollering more obsenities at a tip-up than one can imagine. All in all it was a good day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HaHa
Any feedback or suggestions would be appreciated, Thanks in advance,
Slammer

Outnumbered
01-15-2009, 08:23 PM
Slammer,
Here are a few things that work good for me. 90% of the time I use #7 or #9 jigging raps (no bait) as I think the larger baits are easier for the fish to see/feel. I rarely jig less than 3' off bottom and normally jig 5' to 8' feet off, again I feel this draws more fish in. When jigging I rip the jig 1 to 2 feet very hard (you cannot jig too hard) to get the bait to dart out to the side and it slowly swims back to the center. I normally get 1 or 2 fish per trip that zoom in so fast and slam the bait I only see a quick blip of them on the flasher. If a fish comes in slow I will rip the jig when the fish first appears and then see how it reacts. If the fish seems aggressive (willing to swim up to your bait quickly) I will keep ripping the jig every 10 to 15 seconds or so until he bites or swims off. If I see that he is not moving much I may move down to him and try shorter, less aggressive jigs. 99% of the fish I get to bite shoot up to the jig and all you feel is your line go limp.
I'm sure other techniques work just as good, but this I what has worked best for me in the past.
Good luck, Greg.

slammer
01-16-2009, 06:03 AM
Hey,
Thanks for the info . Sounds almost identical to what I've been doing and have always done other than I usually tip my jigs. Will try it naked more often(jigs that is ) . Am taking my partners wife along today and her nickname is Lucky, don't think it has anything to do with fishing , but it can't hurt. Thanks again. Slammer!!!

North Town
01-16-2009, 08:14 AM
Perhaps it would help to ask your buddies wife to jig naked too.... Just a suggestion.

Seriously though... you can't catch fish from the couch, so you might as well be out there catching or swearing at 'em..

tight lines folks!

ripalip
01-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Hey slammer,
When I was home over x-mas break from school, I did pretty descent on that first bank out from the terrace. I got nearly all of my fish on the orange and pink buckshot spoon (not sure the size, bigger one) with a stinger hook and a 2-3 inch minnow. Hook the head thru the top treble and the tail thru the stinger treble. I was usually fishing in about 36-37 fow. Also, I would put a tip-up down with a 4-5 inch sucker. Had the flag go off a couple times but could never seal the deal. I was also wondering how that new four-wheeler was working out for ya?

Frank S
01-16-2009, 06:32 PM
Sounds like you are just getting in some good ice time. Getting slightly insane is an important part of the process. Cussing at the ice hole? That's nothing, wait till you start talking to the minnows, nice at first, "please, go down there and do a good job for me", then "listen you little #@$%'*/?, if you don't get me something soon, you're going to be smeared all over the ice" Look around, you see people out of their shacks, they are not getting some fresh air or taking a leak, they are walking in circles talking to themselves, or waiting for some answers from afar.
Go down to Kipling and talk to people as they are coming off the ice, the talk isn't important, but look at their eyes. You will see that going off the dark side is a key to success. A little snort of Schnapps once in awhile doesn't hurt either. Good Luck, hang in there.

RudyG
01-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Frank S... :D Laughing My A$$ OFF.... thank you!!! LOLOLOL

slammer
01-17-2009, 09:39 AM
Didn't make the morning bite yesterday due to the fact my partner chickened out at 14 below temps so I also didn't have "Lucky" with me either. Went out by myself around 11:00 and tried my luck for some perch in 18-23 feet of water near some deeper water and moved around a few times and came up with a big goose egg. Packed up at 3:00 and moved south of Gladstone on the west shore along a small shelf that extends from the west break. After drilling a few holes and checking depth , I decided to set up in 33 feet of water. Tried fishin naked and let me tell you it was hard (not tipping the jig that is). Marked the first fish at 4:38 and then never marked another until 5:38 and then missed what felt like a hog. After scraping off my frozen tears, I continued to be fishless the rest of the night. So what's new.
One good thing came out of this fishless slump is that I was cleaning out my wallet and with all the reciepts from Chris at the shop and all the alone time in my shack , I have become quite proficiant at oragami.
Taking today off, but will probably be out the next 4-days and will keep everyone informed. Thanks for all the help!!!
P.s. Yes , the new 4-wheeler is great. Going out to plow with it right now.
The wife must still be happy for me , cuz everytime I leave with it she still has tears in her eyes. Slammer!!!!!!!!