PDA

View Full Version : Mike Herman and Walleye

Capt. Keith Wils
01-15-2009, 04:15 PM
Today I had the chance to sit down with Mike and discuss many things that concern my feelings about our Bay de Noc area and the changes in the past 10 to 12 years.
Being a third generation or longer resident of the area I have seen it go from lots of fish when I was young in the late 1950's to not much in the late 1960's to the good times in the mid to late 1970's until now. The biggest changes have been the Zebra mussels and the Goby. I along with Mike both firmally believe that because of the Zebra mussels creating all this clear water is the main reason that catching Walleye now is such a difficult or so discouraging at times. So with that said if the data that is out there is stating facts about the numbers of Walleye and how many get caught we might want to look at the 23 inch rule and just use the judgement that we all share in how many and what size Walleye you want to keep. Please remember that if you practice the 23 inch rule in Little Bay de Noc and you go to Big Bay de Noc or south of the Ford River that you are the ones that make the call on keeping whatever size over 23 inches that you want.
Capt. Keith Wils
www.walleyeschoice.com