PDA

View Full Version : Gladstone Gasoline Question

CabinBoy
01-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone knew of any gas stations in the general area near Gladstone that carry ethanol free gas. The reason I am asking, is it appears that our new Mercury that is only a two years old had been acting up and it was determined that it was due to the ethanol in the gas. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

CabinBoy

finaddict
01-13-2009, 10:27 PM
Although I am not postive...I'm pretty sure that all gas in Michigan is E10 now. I do know that MI law does not require gas stations to label pumps selling E10, but rather only higher amounts of EtOH like E85. Maybe someone else can confirm or refute this?????

New outboards should run fine on E10 if that is all they have ever used. From my understanding most problems in outboards running E10 occur when it is initially switched over from normal gasoline. The EtOH dissolves all the gunk in the gas tank and fuel lines causing fuel filters and injectors to get clogged. You might want to consider adding a water separator with a 10 micron element to stop all the crud if you don't already have one.

Here is a website I found that gives some more details. http://www.powerandmotoryacht.com/maintenance/e10-ethanol-blended-gasoline/

Hope you can resolve your motor issues.

Capt. Jim McDonald

Enterprise
01-14-2009, 07:50 AM
I own two boats and have worked on motors all my life. Even with that knowledge aside know this............ethanol is garbage. It is not the answer to our fuel problems like they claim and it should have never been introduced into gasoline, there were other ways to bring up the octane once the lead was banned but they (politicians, speculators and oil barrons) thought that they could profit more off the increase in corn and grain prices because thats where they get the ethanol from. Its great for a blown, top fuel race motor with a 6 gallon tank but thats about it. Ethanol based fuels begin to suffer from a thing called "phase separation" almost as soon as it comes into contact with air and it really starts to get going in about 3 weeks of sitting in a can or in a vehicle's tank. This is where the trouble begins. Ethanol, or ethyl alcohol, unlike isopropyl alcohol which is "dry gas", does not have the ability to remove water but acts somewhat opposite and breaks down easily. I thought Carnes BP in Esky told me that their fuels are ethanol free but that may have been before the new regulations with the state. Either way, both boats and the snowmobile get a product called Seafoam added to the tank every time I fuel up. The truck and the van get a can each just before freeze up to remove any water from the tanks. You can even get water directly from a gas station if the tanks in the ground are old or it was raining the last two times the fuel truck came to fill the station. Unless you like working on fuel systems and buying parts you'd do well by using Seafoam. Consider it preventive maintenance. The Seafoam will make your motors start better, run better, and get better fuel mileage in the long run, and prevent fuel system problems no matter what fuel you use. It dissolves deposits and removes and prevents carbon buildup, especially in 2-strokes. Once the damage is done to a carb, though, no additive in the world will fix it. Just my .02 cents.

corby
01-14-2009, 08:11 AM
Enterprise,
What about a 4 stroke outboard??? I always put stabil in mine in fall and haven't had any issues, YET!!! Never heard of seafoam, can I get it at fleet or a local hardware or automotive store? As far as my truck, you say to only put it in during freezing temps...like we used to do with heet?

Thanks,
Shawn

pikeman
01-14-2009, 08:25 AM
You can get seafoam at most automotive stores. Its got a nice price tag on it though, between 7-8 bucks a can.

Enterprise
01-14-2009, 08:26 AM
Yes, and yes and yes. Seafoam is for any motor that burns gasoline. It not only removes the water but conditions the fuel so that it won't break down and turn to varnish - the old school hotrodder's nightmare. Get it at Wal-Mart, Autovalue, or anywhere auto parts are sold. Red and white metal can. About 8 bucks a can but well worth the money. I put it in the fall in the truck and van because thats when I'm winterizing boats and preping the sled, so I buy several cans. In the fall, fill the boat tank to the top and add a can of seafoam. You'll never have another spring fuel problem with your boat and will start much easier. Once or twice a year in your car, and you'll have no injector or water problems.

fatdog
01-14-2009, 11:26 AM
you can ask them but pretty sure BP in gladstone and escanaba (Carnes) are both ethanol free, PURE GASOLINE. they advertise this so im pretty sure.They say you even get better fuel mileage.

rockbass
01-14-2009, 12:34 PM
Seafoam may be expensve but well worth it. Also you do not need to add the whole can when using it in your vehicle at fill ups, 1/3 of a can is plenty. A little sea foam goes a long way.

CabinBoy
01-14-2009, 04:58 PM
Thanks guys. That's some pretty good info. I think I will try that additive no matter where I get my gas. Good luck to all fishing.

FishinMachine
01-14-2009, 06:39 PM
i was told from a guy who know alot about his snowmobiles and gas and he said that carnes BP in esky has a seperate holding tank for their premium (the only places in esky that has that) , and that thier premium is the only kind of gas that they sell that has no Ethonel in it. As far as the BP in gladestone i do not know. I run premium in all my small engines, the auger, snowmobile, and four wheeler and i always get my gas from carnes and i have not had a problem yet. And Napa autoparts in escanaba carries all of the seafoam products!

sewerrat
01-15-2009, 06:33 PM
The Gladstone Shell station is the only place I get gas for my boat. I only use the V power (premium). I learned the hard way. My 150 OptiMax is very sensitive to water in the gas. the problem is not only the ethanol but the amount of water that can legally be found in the gasoline. Premium gas has less water and in the case of V Power contains no ethanol. I also agree with the SEafoam. I use it religously. Do not use Heet it only causes any moisture to gel which really screws things up.