PDA

View Full Version : Moonshine "Shiver Minnow"

W.T.A
01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
Just a few questions since I have not used this lure yet. Does anyone tip it with bait or is it best without bait on it? And what kinda jigging is best for these lures, Is it a hard jig or light jigs?? I am a fan of the do-jigger but seeing how this moonshine is doing very well I think its time to try something new, any info or prefrence's on these lures are greatly appreciated,
Thank you and good luck to all!

walleyeguy
01-08-2009, 07:36 PM
You can work the bait just like you do a jigging rapala or ice darter or any of the normal jigging style baits. Bait vs. no bait is personal preference, I don't use any bait on these or any of the other minnow style jigging baits. Others swear by bait. The moonshine shiver minnow has a unique roll to the side that the fish seem to like. I have had my best luck snap jigging very aggressively. Good luck, let us know how you do.

WG

raywriter
01-08-2009, 07:46 PM
I don't think there is one particular method for using these lures that works consistently. It is always important to let the fish show you what they prefer by experimenting with jigging actions. This preference can also change by the hour. With two anglers, use different approaches to see if a pattern can be found.

One way I use these kinds of lures is as follows: I get a fresh shiner minnow from the bucket and pinch the head off. The head is tossed into the water. Then, using a short blade, very sharp fillet knife I shave off one side of the minnow. I keep the knife in a flat topped, pocket sized plastic box, and the headless minnow is laid on the box (balanced on one knee) to use it as a cutting surface.

The sliver of fresh, bloody minnow meat is hooked once through the thicker end and lowered into the "strike zone" (the depth your locator tells you the fish are holding at). Once there I use a soft "rocking" motion of the rod tip to make the meat slice wave up and down slightly like the swimming action of a leech. I also smash the remainder of the minnow between my thumb and index finger then drop it into the hole so whatever juices and scent that is released hopefully becomes a "chumming" scent trail for fish.

Hope this makes sense. Some days it is just the ticket!

The Bait Shop Guy
01-08-2009, 09:12 PM
Don't put away the Do-Jigger just yet. It's a good idea to have two jigging rods set up and ready to fish. I usually have one rigged with a minnow bait (Rap, Shiver, Chubby or Ice Darter,) and the other with a spoon (usually a Buckshot.) if a fish comes in and ignores the first bait, drop down your "change-up" bait with a completely different action than the first. Many times that will turn lookers into biters.