PDA

View Full Version : Twice In A Lifetime?????

Frank Walsh
01-07-2009, 08:07 PM
For the second time since we have been in the ice fishing business, a lake trout was caught in one of the houses. Todd Wheatcraft, from Prior Lake, caught and released a 12# trout today. Actually not too far from where the first one was caught many years ago.

Will get some pictures posted when Todd gets home. The memory card in their camera will not fit any drives I have.

Illinois Dennis
01-08-2009, 07:40 AM
Frank, are they in season in MN during ice? Think you can take one up in Whitefish Bay over the ice.

Frank Walsh
01-08-2009, 09:21 AM
Need a team of lawyers (can't believe I said that) to interpret the rules, boy looks to me like the lake trout season is from Jan. 17 to March 15 in Minnesota. And a trout stamp is required to possess one.

Whitefish Bay would fall under Ontario Regulation, and possession varies with the license held.

Doug Johnson
01-09-2009, 06:21 PM
I think there's a small population of lakers that resides in the Sturgeon Channel area. I doubt that lakers would find their way from Whitefish or Clearwater to the area south of Oak. I've heard of a few lakers caught here and there in the Angle, and if you talk to the right Indian netter they will talk about an occasional trout that shows up. Back in the old days of commercial netting on the Minnesota side of the LOTWs, an occasional trout would show up off of Buffalo Point in the Big Traverse and be caught in a net.

I'm sure the population is pretty low, but there must be a few in the area.

In the early spring, winter, and late fall water temperatures are pretty much the same through out the lake. Lakers can can show up in strange places.

Doug Johnson

Gissert
01-10-2009, 11:40 AM
Interesting. I often wondered if some lakers hung out on the east end of that channel. It looks like it gets pretty deep there on the Canadian side.

Muskie Nut
01-10-2009, 08:36 PM
I fish the Indian Chain north of Vermilion Bay. In the summer the only place you will see lake trout is in to three deep lakes - Boulder, Forest, and Little Boulder. But when I go up for the walleye opener they can be anywhere on the chain. They will be in Indian and Edwards and yes even Whitney which isn't over 15 ft deep. I think when the temps get right they roam big time, everywhere and anywhere. I think they start moving when the water gets about 55 to 50 degrees. I was also in a boat on Eagle Lake when one of the guys got one on a DepthRaider near Eagle River and that is many miles from the trout holes in the west arm.

Frank Walsh
01-13-2009, 05:54 AM
Here she be.................

Frank Walsh
01-13-2009, 02:01 PM
Said it better than me:

http://www.grandforksherald.com:80/collections/index.cfm?collection=trophy_room