PDA

View Full Version : Best Portable shack for the Bay??

birddog94
01-06-2009, 04:13 PM
Looking into buying a new portable shack. Looking for some feedback on either Fish Trap or Otter...I've taken 3 trips to the bay this year and I need something new.. Will pull with a 4-wheeler. Pro's con's anything would be Great...Thanks

packrat
01-06-2009, 10:56 PM
Ok how many people are you fishing with in it? Clam ( suitcase type) or do you want trap (sled- flipover type) portable. Insulated/noninsulated more money & more weight for insulated but they are suppost to be alot warmer/not as much to heat. Size if two people will be using look more toward a two/three man it's amazing how fast it fills up with gear and stuff - heater,bait bucket,locater,fishing poles,bucket for fish. Try to get a name brand that has been around , Clam, Frabil,Shapel,Eskimo there are others those are just a few. Check the internet go to the manufacture's website's some have video's. As for getting a new portable I see some of the places on the internet are already selling out of the popular models. Shop around it's amazing how the price will vary. I hope this helps you get so idea of what to look for and what is available good luck.:)

W.T.A
01-06-2009, 11:30 PM
I bought a Eskimo Quick Flip 2 last year and it is really nice. Its a two man and I could fit a third if I wanted. so plenty of room for 2 guys. Its fairly light, not too bulky. Another must have is a cover, expecially for pulling youre shanty. But most shantys now a days are pretty nice. So hopefully you find what you want, Good luck on the water.

fatdog
01-07-2009, 07:47 AM
also if you get a quick flip your feet are on the ice unless you haul out carpet or something, some people perfer a floor

finaddict
01-07-2009, 08:02 AM
My advice would be to go to a large store that has many of the top brands on display so you can check them out. The Otters are definitely very nice, but the Clams are good too....especially the new X series. I fished last week on Thursday night in 25+ mph winds in my Clam X2 without any problems. Make sure to get the cover and also a tow bar which makes life alot easier and helps hold the shack in a strong wind.

walleyeguy
01-07-2009, 08:04 AM
You mentioned the best two in the industry IMO, you cant go wrong with either. I have an Otter medium cabin and it is great. The Xtrap are great as well, only complaint I have heard is that they are extremely heavy. X

slammer
01-07-2009, 12:35 PM
In my opinion the Fish Trap X2 is superior to anything out there for durability and ease of set up. Fishes two big guys in the utmost comfort. Make sure you buy a cover for it. My brother inlaw burnt a hole in it and melted the zipper and I called customer service and told them he was from Illinois and didn't know any better and the sent me a whole new canvas topper for
$50.00 bucks. Had a small hole in it that my wife patched good as new. Normally the cover is at least $300.00 . Great company service. Can't say enough about it. Slammer. By the way , just got back this a.m. with two keepers. 4-keepers last night . Slammer!!

birddog94
01-07-2009, 06:29 PM
Thanks Guys, I've been looking for a two man shack, I've looked at the otter and the Fish traps.. Wasn't sure if the hieghts on the newer shacks gave anyone trouble in the winds... Most are around 70" hieght..Except the 'Guide" which is around 61" I've had the chance to sit in a few fish traps but, can't find the otter's anywhere around to feeel the fabric.. I've seen the poles in the eskimo and the Fish traps.. Not big on the frabrills that are at Dunhams.. Fleet Farm in GB has One X2 left so don't know if they'll still have it by the weekend... If I'm having to spend the $$$$ Just wanted to know if anyone had any major things that they would change in one or the other....Thanks, Hope to be on the Ice this weekend if not a few days next week.. Got the week off just hoping for the right weather..

sewerrat
01-07-2009, 08:23 PM
I have had the Otter two man for 3 years. I sold it last year and got the Clam X2 when Gander was closing them out. Both are good choices. The Calm x2 is definitely heavier but it is bullet proof. We were out on Pelican Lake before New Years in 40+mph winds. It was so bad I had it hitched between my Foreman and a loaded Otter sled and I still needed to put in two ice screws. It hardly flapped once it was set up and the stretch bars were installed. We had room for 3 guys with one facing the other two. Seats are the best and the big tubing will not bend and they don't jam like the square tubes in the Otter. It's a pig but if you are pulling behind an ATV it doesn't matter. I have a Clam Fish Trap Pro if I am walking

jtourangeau
01-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Have a guide 2 man clam.Just made some runners for it ,Ican now pull it much easier by hand w/auger + all my gear.It tracks much better b/hind my sled.The height could be a little more,ok in wind if i pack snow around.

packrat
01-07-2009, 11:04 PM
One place I would check is Reeds in minnesota they are on the internet have a pretty good selection and I think they are running some type of discount on shacks right now . www.reedssports.com Good luck

birddog94
01-07-2009, 11:38 PM
Looked at the Trap Guide again tonight, Dunham's also has the voyager... The only thing I cant see is a place to put a ice anchor.. I have a Eastman ice cube 4 person (for sale) and that has a metal gromet in one corner and on all 4 sides it has a strap to anchor down to the ice. Can't see anywhere to run a rope or anchor down.. Does anyone know does the otter have a setup for a anchoring system?