PDA

View Full Version : Leader question...

jah1317
01-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Hey guys I have been making my own florocabon leaders for a while getting pretty good at them and I was contemplating starting to sell them. What weights would you be interested in, lenghts, ect. I am looking to provide high quality leaders at a competitive price and be located in PA so you can get them quicker. Right now I primarily use 130# floro with sampo barrels and stay lock snaps. They are tied, crimped, glued and I have been playing with shrink tube so that the loose end is no longer loose to pick up weeds and other stuff. Any thoughts is there any point in selling them or would you guys prefer to go with the ones from out west. I will gurantee the quality, I won't fish with something that is not up to my standards. I have yet to lose a fish or a lure because the leader failed I have broken line and bent hooks but never have I come up with any evidence of a leader. Thanks for your imput!

Jacob

ThreeRiversEsox
01-06-2009, 09:19 AM
What brand of fluorocarbon are you using Jacob?

jah1317
01-06-2009, 10:11 AM
Seagar 80# and 130# currently for myself and I would of course use the same if I decide to produce for others.

Jacob

Red Childress
01-06-2009, 10:43 AM
I think it could be a good idea.......it will all depend on quality and pricing like everything else. I tie my own fluoro leaders as well and it is much cheaper than dropping 8.00 on a leader that I can tie for 2.00 or less if you buy the stuff in bulk.

IMO regarding the shrink tubing covering the tag end.........I really do not mind the tag end sticking out an inch or so (since it is invisible) so it will catch the occasional floater and keep it off the lure....might mean the difference in getting bit or not.

I saw that Gary Parsons and the Next Bite crew are using the new Berkley translucent fluoro. I think it is called "chrome" or something like that and is even more invisible than the original fluoro stuff.

jah1317
01-06-2009, 01:08 PM
Red,

I will have to look into it...... I like the material I have now it's pretty easy to work with but I always am looking out for new stuff......

Red Childress
01-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Jacob,

I misspoke about the new fluoro being more translucent.......it was their new braided line that casted a weaker shadow in the water.

My bad.......

jah1317
01-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Red,

Yeah all I could come up with was the berkley vanish fluro but it has a tint to it which I thought was odd the whole idea of it is so that there is no color at all and that it is invisible...... I will still proably play with it at some point in time.

ThreeRiversEsox
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Seaguar is the best fluorocarbon out there, it's what the majority of guys use to tie their own. Along the lines of what Red was saying, there are types of saltwater Fluoro that are colored. I would never buy another spool of Berkley Vanish after trying some of their lighter line and having it constantly break. Seaguar would be my choice.

Red Childress
01-06-2009, 03:20 PM
Sorry for the goose chase..........

jah1317
01-06-2009, 04:44 PM
no problem Red, not a goose chase...... thats how you find new things anyway! BTW, I went out today for about 1/2 hour and fished French Creek..... I decided to quit when I had to break a path to open water and also when I picked up my rod to move to a new spot it was frozen to the ground.......

Red Childress
01-07-2009, 08:57 AM
The Cabela's in Hamburg sells Fluoro in bulk packs labeled under the Cabela's trademark but most of it is actually Seagar. I guess they saved the money on packaging because the 200lb. test line is in a fairly plain oversized sandwich bag.

NitroMusky
01-11-2009, 11:55 PM
do not mind the tag end sticking out an inch or so (since it is invisible) so it will catch the occasional floater and keep it off the lure....might mean the difference in getting bit or not.

I'm in the process of tying up some of my own leaders (nuthin else to do over the winter in NY). I like the idea of leaving the tag end on. do you leave both on or just 1? thinkin the one further from the lure to keep the weeds away but dont want to create extra extra weeds on there if I'm in a weedy area. whats your experience been?

oh and seaguar 80lb for me. gave up on wire leaders after trying various 'formulations' but not satisfied.

Red Childress
01-12-2009, 06:12 AM
The connection between my line and the swivel is where I leave the tag end extra long (maybe 1.5 inches) but the other knot still has a decent tag end length just in case the knot slips for some reason.