PDA

View Full Version : rod quest

BradD
12-29-2008, 05:23 PM
ty im going to apologize in advance for starting this thread cuase i have a feeling it cud get lengthy. So here it goes if you all were single guys out there that wanted a new rod and didnt have to face the consuquences with the wife wat wud it be and why . the reason i ask is that im going to buy a rod this winter and i want a slingblade in 8'6" so wat is ur thoughts

nuttinbutjaws
12-30-2008, 03:23 PM
Gander Mountain has a couiple new muskie series rods that are really good. They have a really thick 8'6'' for 100 bucks that can throw any lure out there. We used them this fall with pounders and never had a problem. Great rod.

Ty Sennett
12-31-2008, 06:25 PM
I would probably go with a custom Thorne Brothers rod with either the new G loomis blank or a St. Croix blank. I used both this year and really like them. You can pick what color wrap and how the butt section and foregrip will be designed. It's basically a design your own rod scenario.

makins117
02-05-2009, 11:09 AM
I am also looking into getting a new rod and have been heavily considering both the St. Croix Legend Tournament Slingblade and a custom rod made by Thorne Bros with the G. Loomis Steel 25 blank. I cannot decide which one to go with as they will essentially cost the exact same. I also don't know what the power/specs are on the Steel blank. Is it similar to the Slingblade? What about the quality of the G. Loomis rods now that Shimano owns them? Just want to make sure I make the right decision considering it's a chunk of change to plunk down on either one. Thanks!

Ty Sennett
02-05-2009, 01:44 PM
I used both rods last year and liked both of them. I did break one G Loomis rod on a fish, but that was the lighter action one and the fish didn't want to cooperate.

That being said, after using both G Loomis and St. Croix blanks last year I will probably buy all St. Croix rods from Thorne Brothers this year. I liked the Loomis rods but they wear you out compared to the St. Croix. They have a heavier feel to them. Almost sluggish. I had an eight foot medium heavy fast St. Croix that is just about perfect for everything. Maybe a hair on the light side for Bulldawgs but I made it work.

The thing to keep in mind is that what I like you might not like. I used both rods you're looking at and you wont be disappointed with either.

jkahler
02-05-2009, 09:43 PM
I like St Croix for just about everything. I have a GLoomis jerkbait rod and I'm still undecided on that. It's a bit short and the tip is softer than what I'm used to.

I tried a 9ft Musky Innovations rod while throwing dlb 10's for ten hours last fall and it worked pretty nicely.

makins117
02-05-2009, 11:57 PM
Anybody have any experiences with Pro Edge custom rods? I think ultimately I might be going with a custom St. Croix on this one and my debate now is between Pro Edge and Thorne Bros. Just wondering if anyone had seen both and what they thought. Thanks!!

Ty Sennett
02-06-2009, 02:43 PM
I've seen both and both are great. I like the looks of most of the Thorne Brothers ones a little better. They've been around longer so they have a little more experience with custom rods.

makins117
02-06-2009, 03:14 PM
Thanks for the input. Could I ask any more questions?! Just want to make sure you know.

twells
02-06-2009, 11:36 PM
Makins117,
I just met with Keith from Pro Edge this morning topick up 2 rods from him. They turned out great. I got 2-9' rods for Dbl Cowgirls and regular bulldawgs. The syncork he uss wil be interesting to use this summer. It is suppose to last longer then the regular cork. He did say if you fish with your shirt off and have love handles it can get to be alittle rough. He was alos talking about the sling blade and he is keeping busy with orders for those. I cn't speak for the Thorne Bros. rods but anything I have purchased from them or suggestions has been great. Their customer service is extremly well as is with keith from Pro Edge. Either way it should be a nice rod made to your likings.

Ty Sennett
02-08-2009, 03:40 PM
If the syncork is too rough try some hockey tape on the handles. It works great. I put it on all of mine. That hockey tape is pretty sticky for fall fishing in the rain too.