PDA

View Full Version : Wolves out front

The Tiny Fisherman
12-24-2008, 10:48 AM
I took these pictures off our porch of a pack of wolves. Sorry about the quality, but with the snow and distance its the best I could do. There were three gray and one black wolf. In one picture you can see were they were howling, what a sound.

Hey Goat, got your Christmas card, thanks and have a merry one.

Getting around on the flowage is real rough. There is about a foot of snow on top of eight inches of ice. There is very little movement out here, ATV's a getting stuck and snowmobiles are having a hard time, unless you run it fast. We had a hard time of it, all our machines were coated and then with sub zero temps it made it worst. Did get a few nice walleyes for supper.

Have a Merry Christmas,

MuskieRandy
12-24-2008, 01:58 PM
Nice pictures Tiny!.... I have always wondered about my safety when I go hiking Big Island, but, I go anyway, unarmed. Wolf attacks on people are so rare, but it does make ya think twice!

Living Up North
12-25-2008, 08:36 AM
With 8 to 10 inches of ice didn’t help one young lad though, his truck broke through just past the dam around 4th of July slue a few days ago, all had gotten out before it sank and as of yet it’s still under 10 foot of water. Don’t know how they plan on getting that out and as of yesterday I believe it’s still their so be safe!

Captain Marty Papke
12-25-2008, 08:59 AM
fuzzy or not pretty cool shot as many have never had that opportunity of seeing these beautiful animals in the wild or hearing their mournful cries in the night time!
Merry Christmas to you and family.

Marty

MuskieRandy
12-25-2008, 12:31 PM
With 8 to 10 inches of ice didn’t help one young lad though, his truck broke through just past the dam around 4th of July slue a few days ago, all had gotten out before it sank and as of yet it’s still under 10 foot of water. Don’t know how they plan on getting that out and as of yesterday I believe it’s still their so be safe!

Shouldn't have to lecture anyone, but if the "average" ice thickness is 8-10", there are going to be thinner spots near moving water, ie. the dam or near narrows. Glad everyone got out OK. I would think if they don't get it out soon, the ice is going to refreeze over the hole and then they may have to wait for spring??? Besides, how do you get the truck out, without the tow vehicle going in?

I still am surprised at the "thinness" of the ice given how cold it's been. Did someone throw some antifreeze in the flowage?

George
12-26-2008, 05:54 AM
Snow is a great insulator and therein lies the problem. Even below zero temps have difficulty penetrating that much snow and making good ice. Combine that with the weight of the snow cover pushing the ice down and causing water to seep up onto the ice and you add that lovely layer of slush. Be careful all!

EarthwormOrganics
12-26-2008, 02:52 PM
Visited the fall through spot and it seems they have a cable from the truck to an island about 50 to 70 feet away. They could at least winch it or come a long it to the island if they cut the ice in front. Just a thought. All they marked it with was a tree branch. The cable must be under snow by now. It is Northeast of the dam through the first set of narrows. The flipped up ice seemed to be about 6 inches thick. I didn't get very close with the atv. They worked on packing a trail to it as far as I could tell and that is how I found it.
Thank god they got out.

It is a real mess out there now. Caught a couple average eyes the other night but it was a struggle with all the slush on top. Not very much fun in the long run. Extreme caution to the brave people traveling on the flowage. Merry Christmas everyone.