PDA

View Full Version : atv

tms
12-21-2008, 03:14 PM
i am looking for a good atv.new preferably.400 or 500cc.theres alot of good ones on the market.how about the ones to definately stay away from.anyone got any input.?

fatdog
12-21-2008, 03:40 PM
if your looking to buy a new atv, the new grizzly 550 would be great, or a king quad, i have a 2008 king quad 750, and is unreal. you can get a 500 in a king quad, id get a automatic, with 2wd and 4wd option. make sure plenty of rack space foe hauling stuff.make sure you get a atv with low and high range option to.

tms
12-21-2008, 06:32 PM
what about liquid verse air cooling.which is better

fatdog
12-21-2008, 08:27 PM
liquid for sure, i have fuel injection also, great for ice fishing, no chokes, try looking at the nyroc atv info website for info

tms
12-21-2008, 09:19 PM
found a grizzly 2008 700fi w pwr steering brand new for 6495.00 also polaris 800 2008 for 7000 plus 800 rebate.going looking tomorrow

fatdog
12-21-2008, 09:34 PM
polaris is heavy, my opion go with the grizzly 700, you will love the ride and power

DooFighter
12-22-2008, 08:08 AM
Polaris is heavy, but they ride very nicely. Power? Any atv 400cc or over has plenty of power for atv use, especially if you're just hunt/fishing with it. The smaller displacement bikes just get geared down to multiply the torque and do similar work, where they suffer is in top end, because they're geared down, they don't go as fast. Ok, now, tms, ask yourself how fast you need to go on a utility atv? I have a 500cc suzuki that goes approx 62mph. Controlling it at that speed is a bit like steering a refridgerator on roller skates.

This is just my 2 cents, of course. It's your money.

Frank S
12-22-2008, 11:27 AM
I think it is almost impossible to find someone who has had a bad experience with the Hondas. I live in farm country, and most of them don't even look at anything else. Not that other brands aren't good also, but from my own experience and many others I personally know, for a workhorse/utility type of atv, the Hondas are at least worth a look. Bulletproof. Arctic Cat is also building a great machine, LOTS of ground clearance, handy for ice fishing.

Ragboy
12-22-2008, 04:56 PM
I have owned a Polaris since 1988 with my first one being a 1985 250 trailboss 2 wheel drive. I put well over 15,000 miles on it and never had any problems other than brakes and routine maintanence. I then went to a 95 Sportsman 400 2 stroke. Great bike, a little stinky being a 2 stroke but sold it after having it 11 years for half of what I paid for it. I now have a 2003 700 sportsman and absolutely LOVE it! I use it for hunting and fishing. Bought a drop basket for the back and an auger rack for the front and still have plenty of room for my son and I. It is heavy so don't get it stuck! Good luck looking and no matter what you decide to buy, they are all good.

upangler
12-22-2008, 08:12 PM
I have a 2007 Honda Rancher, it is a TRX420FE, and it is more than enough machine for what I use it for.
Haven't had any problems with it and it runs great.
Fuel Injected, Liquid Cooled, 420cc, selectable 4wd, and electric shift.
Have used it on the coldest days ice fishing and never had any problems.
From everything I read when researching before buying, Honda's are hard to beat and there are a ton of them around.
Brett

tms
12-22-2008, 09:07 PM
any of you guys own a grizzly 660.theyre not fuel injected.just wondering if they hard starting in sub zero weather

pikeman
12-23-2008, 12:41 PM
I would stay away from any with a carb, EFI is the way to go for the cold weather. If your looking at having a person with you look at getting one of the 2 up models like I got. Lots of room for 2 people and your gear.

BoSeafus
12-23-2008, 01:15 PM
I just bought a 660 Grizzly and researched many of the above mentioned quads. Let me just say everyone has their opinion and there are certainely many. I got a great deal on a new 2007 which was a big factor. Like Frank said, Hondas are tough to beat. I've had great luck with them. I wanted independant suspension and ground clearance which is lacking on the Hondas. I still frequently ride the Rubicon which is a good bike.(North Honda in Menominee has great deals) I had a couple Polaris's. Most recent was a 02' Sportsman 500 which the Griz replaced. Had nothing but problems with both my Polaris machines. I was just unlucky I guess, won't own another. Back to the question, Yes my 660 is cold-blooded. It is hard starting in these cold temps, but not that bad. Other than that, It sucks a little gas with 27" ITP Mud-lites, but is a blast to ride. The power is awesome and I couldn't be happier with the ride. I did test ride the new 700 with efi and power steering and it is very nice. You can literally steer with your thumbs on the PS model. I just didn't feel it was needed. The 550's were nice also, but night and day for power. Hope this helps, just some of my thoughts. JB