PDA

View Full Version : Kipling Report

raywriter
12-14-2008, 08:01 PM
I fished from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. off Kipling today in eight to thirteen feet. Lots of walking through slush and very slick, wet ice. We did not have the ATV. We landed some big perch, but very few. I use an attractor to start with at any spot we set up. In this case it was a #3 Mepps spoon, red/gold. This is a large spoon suitable for pike or salmon. I am just trying to pull fish in closer by jigging it aggressively for a minute or so (it works for attracting panfish as well as gamefish). Anyway, I had two perch hit this spoon! You would probably never use a live minnow anywhere close to the size of this spoon. I also had four pike hit the perch rigs, but they did not touch the attractor. I know they were pike because I could easily see them. One was easily thirty inches or more, but they cut off the two and four pound test we used for perch.

jtourangeau
12-14-2008, 08:52 PM
I walked out yest.off vagabond and had 2 bite me off.Got 3 on tipups,2 perch 1 pike on jiggin spoons.Lots of ''lookers''.Fished from about 9-1:30.no eyes

The Bait Shop Guy
12-14-2008, 09:49 PM
Jamie, how was the access and ice thickness there? Any pressure cracks?

We had a fair number of fishermen in Friday and Saturday, but haven't received too many reports back yet. David P. emailed me this report tonight -

"I stopped in yesterday around 11 and got bait from you...I was the guy from Green Bay. Thanks again for the info....9 eyes returned, kept 3 nice ones and lost another 6-8. I was in 22 FOW off yellow gate. Good going, maybe 5in ice. THANKS AGAIN"

I don't think today's rain will hurt the ice much. If anything, the sloppy snow will freeze up good when the bottom drops out and give us some better traction - it was like a mirror out there.

jtourangeau
12-15-2008, 06:58 AM
Around 5'',seen lots of atvs and a sled.My next trip will not be a walk out one.Did not see much of a press crack.

BassMan67
12-15-2008, 05:07 PM
Thanks for the bay report. I also fished sunday morning from 8am untill 11am. I fished northwest of butlers island in 6 to 18' with one perch to show for my efforts.

fishingmichigan
12-15-2008, 08:28 PM
I fished saturday in the morning caught alot of small eyes and ended the day with a 28 in bourbot 13in perch 10 in perch and 17 in eye and sunday caught 4 perch and 2 eytes my buddy did well 30 inch 11.5 lbs eye and 2 othere keepers and 3 nice perch the ice is 5 to 7 inches depends on where you go and the cracks are fine

Enterprise
12-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Hey Fishinmichigan, don't want exact locations but can I at least ask what depth of water you guys were fishing? Only got a couple pike and perch (small) between the coal piles and butlers for several trips out, from 11 to 19 FOW. Obviously, my report isn't as good as yours!

Steve

FishinMachine
12-16-2008, 12:53 PM
I went out sat. morning from 7:45 till 11:45. We fished the 24' flat, kinda off second reef. We caught 4 eyes, and 2 perch. both keeper eyes were 16" and one 11" perch along with a nice 14.5" fat female! the other two eyes were close to being keepers! Both perch were off green glow tiger jigging raps, one eye was off a moonshine looking swedish pimple and the rest were off tip-ups about 2.5 feet off the bottom. i also lost a nice walleye off the tip up.

Enterprise
12-16-2008, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the info. Fishingmachine, much appreciated.

fishingmichigan
12-16-2008, 10:22 PM
24 foot area caught alot of small walleye but caight 2 keepers big lawer and 2 nice perch 11' 13