PDA

View Full Version : Report

danthefisherman
12-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Fished tonight from 6:15-8:30pm at Buckhorn Peninsula Launch on 19th Ave, across from the little yellow. Set boards in the bay and sat at the launch in the car. There were two holes drilled, looked a few days old and a good amount of water/slush on the ice. Walking was rough due to slush, but the ice under all that snow was a solid 7" and we found 8" in a few holes. I'm not sure how the rest of the main lake is, however. The bay we fished actually has the channel run through it a bit further than we were, but didn't venture out more than 100yds. Two guys, 1 flag, 1 13" eye @ 7:15pm. Fished 8-9'. They say there isn't a night bite but I am determined to find a consistent one, here or somewhere nearby. I'm going to try the little yellow river next time. Heading back out all day Saturday, jigging and tipups. I've been curious about the walleyes this time of year, do typically roam flats during the day or hold to structure/dropoffs? Good Luck Everyone!

danthefisherman
12-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Fished the Rock on Saturday. Went off the Turtle, out to the channel about 1/2-3/4 mile out. 4 Guys, set 9 boards and jigged. Fished anywhere from 8-15ft, two flags no fish and 1 Crappie jigging. Saw many others out there, no one was running to flags. Lots of shanties, must be jigging panfish. We had 7-9" of solid ice, with quads and sleds all over the lake. Used double fathead rigs and small shiners for the walleyes, spikes and crappie minnows for the pannies. I am going to head out this week again to see if I can find the eyes somewhere. I'll keep investing my time. Be safe!

Dan

dan5585
12-15-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks Dan for the report, ....I'm planning on coming up from Chicago on Saturday , do you think the ice is safe all over the lake? I want to take my snowmobile with me so I can fish different spots. Thanks again.

danthefisherman
12-17-2008, 09:35 AM
Dan5585,

I am not sure about the entire lake. Obviously close to the bridge, dam and tressel I wouldn't advise just yet. Again, out in the channel off the Turtle and also the Bay off Buckhorn State Park are the only places I have been and the ice is solid. We had 9-10" everywhere I drilled last night and 7-9" on Saturday in 15fow.

Went out last night from 6-8:30pm with a buddy. Set 6 boards, double fatheads, no flags. We were off the Buckhorn State Park launch in the actual park. Fished 7-9' right off the bottom with no luck. Next time I try at night I am going to try crappie point or the little yellow river. It was cold and snowing hard so I didn't feel like setting up the shanty. We sat in the car at the launch and set boards out as far as 200yds. I am determined to find at least some action. My last 3 trips, two at night and one all day, only one short walleye and one crappie? What does a guy gotta do to catch some fish around here? I'll keep trying!

Regards,

Dan

HomeAway
12-21-2008, 09:15 PM
Keep it up Dan - we're cheering for you from the warmth of our homes.

I plan to take the kids out on the ice next week, what's the chances we will be able to drive the cars out on the Rock and not go swimming?

Thanks

danthefisherman
12-23-2008, 09:39 AM
Fished Saturday with a friend, went off the Turtle about 3/4 way across the lake looking for the stumps. Fished near a few other groups looking for the same thing. Fished 10-15 fow, Set 4 boards with double fatheads. Jigged swedish pimples with waxies and minnow heads, also ice jigs with spikes/waxies. No flags, however, every single tipup was stripped of minnows when I picked them up, gonna try tipdowns next time, our fatheads weren't huge so I get the picture. Still no walleyes!!! Minus a tiny one jigging. Ended up with 2 crappies, 2 Gills and 2 whites. Need to try walleye suckers or small shiners for the eyes I think, or larger fatheads. Still can't figure this lake out for walleyes, I grew up on Koshkonong and never had an issue there. This body of water is completely different and is going to take time for me to learn the tricks, but I will keep trying. Going to buy a Lowrance X67C this week, that should help with the pannies too. Good luck everyone!

Dan