PDA

View Full Version : Curly Sues

Red Childress
12-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Has anyone had any luck with the Curly Sues from Shack Attack Lures???

I should be getting a couple in the mail this week. I have heard good things about their durability and I really like the Suzie Suckers made by the same company.

stushsky
12-03-2008, 11:48 AM
i almost clicked to order some myself! never caught a thing on a bulldog vs. other palstics i have used like the bucher swimmin' joes! in my opinion, the rattles in the joe's have done it for me! no rattles in the sues either! keep that to yourself red...lol!

Red Childress
12-03-2008, 11:52 AM
I really like the Swimmin Joes but to get them deep, you almost have to stop reeling. I am almost done with Bulldawgs for the simple reason of price vs. quality. Supposedly, MI has decided to up the durability for 2009 on them so they do not fall apart as you pull them out of the packaging.

I will just insert some walleye jig rattles on the Curly's if necessary and then melt the rubber to hold them in.

stushsky
12-03-2008, 11:55 AM
red,
if i am not mistaken the shack attack's don't even have a lip like the joe's so if deep is what you need?

stushsky
12-03-2008, 11:59 AM
...depending on your angle of drift, etc....

J Routt
12-03-2008, 12:18 PM
I have made the switch to Curly Sues from Bulldawgs for one big reason.....

.....they have MADE IN AMERICA molded in the tail.

Plus I like the fact that you deal directly with the owner when you order them from the website.

stushsky
12-03-2008, 12:37 PM
"made in america"...what a wonderful thing! i don't own any shackattacks yet but i didn't realize bulldawgs were not made in america! thanks for letting us all know! that will make a difference for me being an ex-steelworker from 20 years back and hopefully many others out there!

Red Childress
12-03-2008, 12:47 PM
With a sink rate of 1 ft per second, they will be fine. The Joe's have so much action, they ride too high for me during the summer. I really like the 10-inch but they just do not have the same action as the 8's do and tend to foul up more.

Red Childress
12-03-2008, 12:58 PM
I have spoken to Andy, the owner, and he seems very nice. I am sure these baits will take the place of my bulldawgs from MI.

stushsky
12-03-2008, 01:01 PM
red,
being a lake fisherman, i would have thought the joe's with a lip would dive deeper against the river current you are dealing with?

Red Childress
12-03-2008, 01:09 PM
Me too, but it works in reverse........pulling with the current gets them down better but I want to comb the bottom right now without taking 5 hours to fish 2 acres of water while casting in 4-10 fow.

cband
12-03-2008, 01:10 PM
I have several curly sues and use them a good bit on the river. The only problem I have with them is the weight. They are not as heavy as the super ds. You get more of a lift and glide presentation rather than a up and down jigging one. I like to rip soft plastics in the summer and the suzys tend to ride a little too high in the water for me. The durability of the baits is very good and they melt back together nicely.

stushsky
12-03-2008, 01:20 PM
red,
i suppose it's one of those..."gotta be there"...kind of things to realize what exactly is going on with the bait!

Red Childress
12-03-2008, 02:16 PM
I can get the Suzy's down much deeper and faster than the Joes so I anticipate the Curly Sue's being the equivalent of a bulldawg. I hope I am right.

There are 2 different weighted models of the Suzies, if my memory is correct. I am using the heavy model in the 9in length.

J Routt
12-04-2008, 06:16 AM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing bulldawgs, they work very well. I just get tired of everything going to China. I understand why manufacturing companies have made the move, but the long term affects on our economy are not good. I'm not die hard on it, I shop at Walmart like most of us. This is just one small area that I have made an effort.
Again, the Super D's and Bulldawgs are good baits, but they are hand poured in China. Take from that what you will.

Red Childress
12-08-2008, 09:26 AM
I got my new Curly Sues over the weekend and they feel much more durable than other similar rubber baits out there.......they also have "Made in America" stamped on the base of the tail, which was nice to see.