PDA

View Full Version : Current Eagle River and Vilas County Ice Conditions

Pete Stoltman
11-25-2008, 09:22 PM
I've had a number of guys call and ask or e-mail about the ice in the northwoods. Right now I'd have to say it's very "iffy". I've had ice reports on smaller shallow lakes with ice up to about 3" and some lakes with barely a skim and about 1.5" of ice. The bottom line is, if you decide to go out use EXTREME caution. Know where you're going and definitely check the ice with your spud bar every step or so. Remember ice picks, and wear a life vest under your coat. We've had some on and off snow in areas which of course will insulate the ice for a while until the cold works it's way through the snow. My words of advice is: if you're not sure or skeptical, don't go. The fish will still be there and it's not worth risking injury or worse just to say you were the first one out there. Now, if you do go, you should do ok with fish in shallow. Most of the area bait shops have received their shiners, crappie minnows, and walleye suckers so there's no problem with obtaining bait.
I'll be out on the ice as soon as I'm comfortable with the conditions on my favorite early spots and will report the bite as soon as I can.

Sid Chigger
11-26-2008, 09:42 AM
Something tells me that Muskie "tie myself to the bumper" Matt is one of those who like to get on the ice early.. :)

Hey guys, get some pics up of the new Ice Shack that Wild Eagle has.. I'm doing my best to talk Big Daddy into one of the Ice Fishing School weekends.. Not having much luck, but maybe the pics will help!

Sid

Muskie Matt
11-26-2008, 09:32 PM
Doing production work right now... but I was out on hard water today, about 3in, got photos of the new shack and all. Will post when I get home....