PDA

View Full Version : An Angler Thanksgiving

Joel DeBoer
11-25-2008, 07:24 AM
For those of you who do not receive the 'Everest Herald', I thought I would share the "festive" piece I wrote for it this week...

Holiday’s mean many different things to many different people and Thanksgiving is no exception. For this particular angler, it sadly signifies the rapid close of the musky fishing season and also the very first early ice opportunities. Many families often share what they’re thankful for around this holiday, some around the dinner table and others while parked in front of the television for a little holiday pigskin action. My family is no exception to this tradition and once my turn comes I always have some warm feel-good answer to share.

What if I took a moment longer to think beyond my family and friends, my job and countless blessings? What if my response took longer than a few seconds, providing my brother ample time to enjoy that second piece of Mom’s amazing pumpkin pie? What if when asked, “Joel, what are YOU thankful for this Thanksgiving,” I responded as a fisherman first instead of family man; well, it might go a little something like this…

“I’m thankful for the first day I am finally able to back my boat down the ramp and into open water. Regardless of the temperature, it’s always a brisk but enjoyable ride; the creaking and groaning of ice is replaced by the splashing of water and what a glorious sound that is!”

“I’m thankful for the first early morning of the summer. Few art galleries are able to boast works equaling the majesty of a sunrise. A call from the common loon pierces the silence and ignites from within a heightened awareness for the splendor that is so prevalent on the water. It is in these moments that I am most at peace both with the world and myself.”

“I’m thankful for the symphony of the night; the bullfrogs and crickets and the call of the owl, for the crackling of a distant campfire on shore and the explosion of a giant musky as it engulfs my lure. As I glance towards the star-dimpled sky, a falling star elicits a child-like response – I wish, I wish…”

“I’m thankful for the plethora of wildlife that abounds and keeps me company while fishing. As bald eagles and osprey patrol the endless sky, deer, raccoon, and the occasional black bear patrol the waters edge. Often, they turn in my direction only to find me staring back – it’s good to see you old friend!”

“Of course I’m thankful for the droves of finned quarry to pursue. There’s bluegill and crappie, their endless springtime antics have provided many a memorable afternoon. There’s the ever-acrobatic smallmouth bass, the bulldogging channel catfish, and the majestic walleye with its golden armor. King salmon provide hours of arm-aching action, lake sturgeon bear witness to true power on the rod and reel, and of course the mighty musky, Wisconsin’s state fish, never ceases to fuse anticipation with rejection, frustration with exhilaration.”

I suppose I could go on, perhaps for hours, but by now the turkey has gone cold and everyone is anxiously waiting for me to finish. “There’s one more thing, I am ever so thankful for the seemingly endless supply of clients, family, and friends with which to fish with, and for a wife who not only supports my fishing, encourages my fishing, but often joins me in the boat. It is these wonderful people that make an excursion into the outdoors all the more enjoyable.”

I can’t help but smile – life is good! Happy Thanksgiving everyone, I’ll see you on the water…

prichard
11-27-2008, 09:53 AM
I am very thankful to be living in North Central Wisconsin. If you have done any amount of travelling you know that this is one of the best places to be. It is hard to beat the quality of life in our neck of the woods...Gods country. To my friends that are reading this...you make life memorable as well as enjoyable and for that I am thankful. My son and I look forward to sharing sunrises over the water with you, hearing the scream of a reel as a salmon tries to make it to the next county, feeling our heart race as a cackling pheasant explodes out of the grass...these are all things that are best shared with the people we care about and love. I am proud to call you friends. Heres to many more days in the outdoors....

Joel DeBoer
12-04-2008, 09:53 PM
God bless you and Jake, Jim - I look forward to spending many more years on the water with you both! The picture of Jake with his first musky from this past summer will stay on my fireplace mantle for years to come... :)

Happy Holidays,