PDA

View Full Version : MAY 21st REPORT

Rob Manthei
05-21-2013, 06:28 AM
Weather is getting better, at least it looks like there isn't any more snow coming!! water temps are nearing 60 on some lakes and still upper 40's on large lakes.

Walleyes: Lots of lakes are in the post spawn lull. Normally we don't have to experience this because it happens in APRIL!! Anyway, with all the lakes in the area, this can be easily avoided by using your trailer that comes with your boat! On the largest lakes, I am finding lots of walleyes still handing around the spawning grounds. Otherwise, first sign of weeds and wood are producing lots of fish. Move around, don't spend too much time in one area. Bait Rigs slow pokes and odd'balls with tuffy fatheads or the rare redtail are working best for me. Artificials are getting some attention on more active days. Berkley Hollow Belly Swimbaits and a variety of cranks are taking fish.

SMB's: Fished them yesterday and killed 'em. Pre-spawn and staging off the the first break of their spawning(gravel/rock) areas....Husky Jerks, Tubes, Wackies, Cranks....50-60 fish up to 20.5" nice!

LMB's: See SMB's

Crappies: These guys are going strong. Pre-spawn, using wood and last years weeds. Mini-mites are my favorite, and will always use them over live bait...frizzies are working too.

SIDE NOTE: I attended the meeting that the DNR held this spring to discuss panfish limits and reductions. After this weekend, I could puke after seeing and hearing about the numbers of crappies kept just in the ST Germain area. Over bagging by day-trippers, locals, etc is getting out of hand. Who needs 50 crappies a day?!?!?! Who wants to clean that many??! The meeting was to discuss the possibility of reducing the bag to 10 or 15 and imposing a 10" size limit. This is what a variety of lakes could certainly use in the area. It would make the ultimate crappie fisheries in no time. When people keeps 100's of 8" to 9" crappies(yes, guys, that's how big they are really, I've seen then myself) they don't stand a chance to get larger....Question, how old is a 12" crappie in Vilas County? ANSWER: around 10 years....do the math, it takes a while to rebuild a crappie fishery..

GOOD LUCK!

jimmer
05-23-2013, 01:44 PM
Rob,
Will be coming up to the area and fishing little saint germain.(june 1st thru the 8th.)Bringing two teenage boys and was wondering if you had any pointers or suggestions, will the crappies or bluegills be on beds? Would appreciate any help .
THANKS
jIMMER

Rob Manthei
05-24-2013, 06:17 AM
Jimmer,

Email me at info@robmanthei.com