PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - 5/3

Kevin Nelson
05-03-2012, 10:56 PM
A few slightly warmer days are allowing Kakagi (Crow) Lake to warm up a little - some mid 40's in the open water area's which should help the fishing in the coming weeks.

Lake Trout - Jigging, casting and trolling are seeing some action - not a fast bite,yet. Trevor an area Fishing Guide enjoyed watching the Lake Trout come scooting out of 3' reef waters and chasing the lures - he said he tried everything he could think of to try to get them to actually bite, but no luck... but it sure was fun watching them chase. Trolling groups... so far are catching enough, have not heard any reports of a great bite. Jigging seeing some coming off the bottom from 100', but most fish seem to be on the drop offs 30-80 feet where bait fish look to be staging to come shallower. The other evening I had 2-4 fishing chasing my lure constant every place I tried for 2 hours solid - it was great fun to see all the fish racing up and down the water column on the graph. Usually in those conditions, I want to fish just deeper than "the crowd" - looking for a hungrier fish coming a little late for dinner. I did see one Lake Trout chasing a bait fish to the surface and it almost jumped my boat! Hoping that is a sign of an improving bite, warmer weather will certainly help.

A bit of sad news - my little fishing buddy and friend for many of our guests, Lily (our Welsh Corgi) has a torn ACL. She is scheduled for surgery May 14th and expected 6 weeks of recovery - prognosis is good, we caught this early and she is only a little over 2 years old. She was playing fetch the ball with Amy (youngest daughter) this week and after running to get the ball... she just sat down and didn't want to walk or play any more. I won't be taking her fishing for quite a while as she loves to jump around a little too much in the boat... wanting to bark at, see and kiss the fish. Lily will be coming up to the resort May 10-13 before her surgery with Jenny, Amy and Jean. This summer, we ask the guests help by not letting Lily jump and play as much as Lily wants, we will need to balance her getting the excerise she needs with the rest and recovery. Thoughts and prayers for her recovery are very welcome.

On the brighter side - Looking like May 10-13 will be near a full house with all but one of our bigger cabins already booked (one large 2 bedroom still available). Not sure if this is good news or bad news, but looking like for the young ones (ages 3 - 18) the girls will out number the boys by almost 2 to 1! Maybe I will go hang-out with Matt, Reese, Conner and Luke for awhile :-)

Regards,