PDA

View Full Version : Tranx reel

Gson
01-17-2012, 11:02 PM
Played with it at chi. show seemed big, heavy, and expensive.It also won the cranking contest,[double tens] and felt like a real solid reel. What is your opinion? Gson

Muskie Nut
01-19-2012, 10:56 AM
Besides it doesn't come in a "true" right handed reel (you know the crank on the same side as your spinning reel), like you said its big and costly. I'd rather use a Abu 7000 and save some dollars. I can't believe this reel is more bullet proof than a 7000. So just how often does one burn double 10s? Seems like a steep price to pay for a reel that does one thing reel well. Opps, i should have typed real well and not reel well.:)

lambeau
01-27-2012, 11:08 PM
when compared to other reels that are used to do the same thing such as the Trinidad 16NA, it's actually very close to the same size. the biggest difference i noticed was that due to the low-profile shape it actually fits comfortably in my hand, and i have small hands. add in the levelwind for ease of casting and it has the potential to be the complete package.

as for how often someone burns double-10s? it's beyond well documented that doing so works, and this reel will make that easier, which will mean catching more fish...
and my experience with dozens of reels from both brands (including 7000s) is that Shimanos are infinitely more durable than Abus.

i'm sold.

Musky_John
01-28-2012, 02:06 PM
Steve,
It was nice seeing you at Harper... Okay... I was thinking on the same lines as far as the Tranx.... My question becomes which one... High or low gear ratio.... High to burn the double tens... However what is down side? Alot of stress to the reel and fishermen? 6.6:1 or 4.6:1? Need both? One to burn and one to crank? What is your opinion?

Cheers,
John

Muskie Nut
01-31-2012, 12:57 AM
So Musky_John, who is Steve? The original poster is Jerry, then me and then Michael. Nobody named Steve has posted. Just thought I would let you know that. But that's a good question you asked. The reel to my knowledge hasn't been used yet by anybody, but being a DG10 burning reel, you might want the higher speed of the two choices if you get one.

lambeau
02-02-2012, 09:19 AM
i've heard from folks who have used the Tranx, both testing demo models last year and during the contest at Chicago. so this is not my personal experience, but their observations have been pretty consistent:

- the high-speed reel ("HG" version) will work best for really burning smaller baits such as double-8s or picking up slack on dawgs, etc. the high speed gears mean that for burning double-10 bucktails it's painful on your hands/arms. it cranks 43" of line per turn, which is similar to the Trinidad and people underfilled the Trinidad because bringing double-10s in that fast was too difficult even with a powerful reel.

- the lower geared reel ("PG" version) still generates 30" of line per crank, so it is plenty quick. it is much easier to retrieve due to the gearing advantage, and if you're willing to spin the handle it will burn in double-10s fast enough to blow them out of the water without breaking your arms off. it's got the power of a Calcutta TE but faster line pickup.

once they're available i'll be picking up one of the lower-gear-ratio "PG" versions as a double-10 reel.