PDA

View Full Version : Finding and Fishing Man-Made Musky "Magnets"...

Joel DeBoer
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
When you think of traditional musky cover, what comes to mind? Weeds and wood, bars and humps, and more I’m sure – all definitely prime summertime musky hangouts. What about those “other” hotspots, those that Mother Nature had nothing to do with creating? Perhaps at this point you’re scratching your head, or, perhaps you’re nodding knowing exactly what I’m talking about. I’m referring to man-made structures, and if you’re not fishing them you’re missing out as they can be absolute musky magnets. Here’s a run-down on two types of man-made musky magnets to help put a few more Esox in your boat this season.

Perhaps one of the most common forms of these structural types are dams. Dams attract fish including muskies, all season long and for a variety of reasons. First, they act as a barricade for fish migrating upstream in a river or reservoir often resulting in a concentration of prey. During the heat of mid-summer dams also provide a source of cooler more oxygenated water due to the relative constant flow. A word of caution from the start, fishing below dams requires a solid dose of caution and common sense. Water levels and flow rates are subject to rapid change and tricky currents, especially during periods of higher water, can make for interesting boat navigation. That being said, a musky angler with access to dams on waters containing the king would be wise to investigate further.

Not all dams are created equal. When locating potential fishing areas, size is not always as big an issue as with other cover. As a general rule of thumb, dams with typically higher flow rates will hold more fish. While this is not always the case as other environmental factors come into play, it will help narrow your search to start out. Guiding on the Wisconsin River system, I am privy to an array of dams, most of which have produced muskies for my boat at some point in the season. When searching a dam area for muskies, begin by keying on current breaks. These breaks may be at the dam face itself, from other structures off the dam or sides of the dam, or a bit downstream.

Although a variety of presentations will work, I keep my lure selection fairly simple. For starters, heavy rubber lures/swim baits seem to excel in this situation. Lures such as Musky Innovations Bulldawgs, Double Dawgs, and Titan Tubes are all staples in my repertoire. I generally work these baits in a straight swimming retrieve, varying the speed and adding occasional jerks of the rod tip to impart additional action. A well executed figure-eight is critical as muskies will often follow these style lures right to the boat. Speed and depth changes during the maneuver will help turn followers into biters. Crankbaits are my other “go-to” lure due to their versatility and high hooking percentages. My personal favorites include Kriscos and Shallow Invaders for fishing shallower water, while Kraves, Czars, and Invaders work well for fishing a bit deeper. Seeing how the substrate below most dams consists of a hard bottom, I prefer to make occasional contact whenever possible to aid in eliciting strikes. Again, tip the odds in your favor with a sound boat side follow-through.

Many of us drive over them daily, and yet few of us view them as sound options in the pursuit of the mighty musky. Bridges excel as musky habitat like dams, for a variety of reasons. Often, bridges are constructed in neck-down areas; if not, their construction may create such a zone. The beauty to these areas is that they act as natural funnels for fish of all species, including bait – you can guess what follows next. The funneling action also creates additional current, providing breaks for the angler to key on. Low bridges add the element of shade, a tool that ambush predators such as muskies utilize especially during the sunny days of summer.

I begin my assault on bridges by fishing adjacent to and behind the pillars themselves. You’ll be surprised by the number of fish you contact, even over deep water, that are riding high in the water column in close proximity to them. Willow-leafed bucktails such Mepps Giant Killers are good bets as are crankbaits. After directly working the pillars, I look for the wash-outs found behind those pillars with the strongest current adjacent to them, and search through the entire hole beginning at the head. My favorite lures for this scenario are crankbaits, and I work them vigorously to help simulate an injured or dying baitfish. Finally, I look for leftover pilings from old bridges or shallower flats jutting into deeper water next to the bridge. These areas containing current and rapid depth changes are excellent from summer throughout freeze-up.

No, they’re not the most picturesque of areas to fish, but dams and bridges, along with a host of other man-made elements hold muskies year round. Learn how to identify and fish them effectively, and I guarantee you’ll boat more muskies. After all, that’s what it’s all about. I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,