PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - 7/24

Kevin Nelson
07-25-2011, 11:05 PM
Wild weather this past week - from Hot (feels like 110!) all the way to needing to turn heaters on in the cabins (mid 40's), a few storms and some winds. Kakagi (Crow) Lake temps made it up to 78-79 degrees and at our beach the temperature dropped to 58 degrees, from the wind blowing all the warm water out of the bay. Lake temperatures seem to have stablized to the upper 60's.

Fishing was actually good for most much of the time, but most groups spent a little extra time relaxing at the beach, playing cards in the cabins and visiting some tourist traps.

Walleye included a 7 pounder from LOTW for a first time guest. Bite bounced around from being great to being very tough.

Lake Trout was good for some groups and awesome for me personally. I caught five 10 pound or bigger Lakers during a 7 day stretch of fishing evenings. The groups fishing 100+ water either caught nothing or found them on a great bite. The groups fishing the 70-90 foot waters had a more consistent bite. Trolling and Jigging methods both working... most fish were over 6 pounds during the week.

Northern Pike bit ok with good average size and a couple mid 30" fish from LOTW. Starting to see boats evening trolling on LOTW.

Muskie - one group tried trolling for a couple hours - caught one 38" and lost another.

Bass - biting well on Kakagi on hook and worm method - 20 in a couple hours of fishing.

Starting August 6th we will have a fair amount of cabins available... plenty of time for a late in the season trip to Boreal Bay!

Regards,

Jackpot Jim
07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
Hi Kevin I am putting out feelers trying to put together a trip up there the second week of October can you tell me what the weather conditions are like up there that late in the season? How is the fishing for muskie's on Crow and LOTW? I have heard from some telling me that it is mostly trolling crank baits? I have never fished Crow before isn't the water clear so you are trolling anyway? and lastly do you have any cabins open in that time frame.
Thanks Jim Gordon

Kevin Nelson
07-29-2011, 10:41 PM
Hello Jim,

2nd Week of Oct really has the chances of being really cold (near freezing) to T-shirt weather and normal week would likely have a little of both.

Crow (Kakagi) is the very clear water... trolling crankbaits around should be produce along with hard diving crankbaits near the rocks.

LOTW is very stained water around Stevens Bay. I was out for 1 day with Muskie Matt a couple years ago second week of Oct and he put on a really good show for me catching four over 40", running hard diving crankbaits down the rocks. Bucktails can also work late in the season. Without me on board, Matt rasied a few other big Muskie during that trip.

LOTW has clearer water around Whitefish Bay and another really good Muskie area.

I have not really fished much myself in Oct, usually working on a few projects around the camp and getting ready for our deer hunters. Maybe it is only me personally, but the water I try to avoid fishing late in the year is the 52 to 57 degree waters, I like colder or warmer... between Whitefish, Stevens and Crow it's likely you can avoid those temperatures.

I will have cabins open.

October is also a great time for the tail end of the fall colors, some easy grouse hunting and duck hunting options.

Regards,

Rondogpike
08-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Hi Kevin,
We fish Ontario waters every year and often see a hatch of bugs we call fresh water shrimp. I am sure this is probably the wrong name for these but they look like the casings of some type of water bugs. What are these things, where do they hatch and how long do they live? I assume walleye feed on them when available?
Thank you!
Rondog

Kevin Nelson
08-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Hello Rondog,

Most likely that would either be a stage of the Mayflies or Dragonflies... and pretty sure most every fish will snack on them.

Regards,

Kevin Nelson