PDA

View Full Version : Boreal Bay - Fishing Report - 7/17

Kevin Nelson
07-17-2011, 11:05 PM
It's hot and humid with more heat predicted this week. Kakagi (Crow) Lake was showing temperatures 75 to 76 degrees out in the open water. What a great giant swimming pool! Most everyone is going in the lake to cool down a bit.

Muskie fishing was successful for most on Kakagi with several 46" and one 47" along with many smaller ones. Deep running Red lures is the normal hot lure on Kakagi. Guests were seeing some 50"+ on both Kakagi and LOTW... but none were caught. One Lake Trout fisherman was surprised with a 42" Muskie coming from deeper water! Not very many groups targeting Muskie in the coming weeks.

Bass fishing was decent but most of the bigger Bass are working a little deeper. Live bait will be the most successful means to nab the bass as the lakes warm.

Northern Pike fishing included some mid 30" from Stevens Bay and many smaller pike on Whitefish Bay.

Walleye was slow for a group just arrived... but they will find the Walleye in their hot weather spots soon.

Lake Trout are are showing up but not well established in the deep 100+ holes ... many experienced a tough bite until late in the week. A few big Lake Trout are starting to appear and I ended my personal "Trout drought" with a very skinny 15 pound Lake Trout! I have moved back to fishing my May and June Trout spots where I'm finding baitfish (70-85' holes adjacent to shallower 45-60' water).

If you heading this way soon --- bring fans and swimsuits!

Regards,