PDA

View Full Version : Tube-Fed Smallmouth Bass

Joel DeBoer
06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Anglers are always on the look-out for the “magic” bait. While there is truly no such thing as a magic lure, for each species, depending on weather and water conditions, there are presentation options that come darn close. In smallmouth bass fishing one of these options is surprisingly simplistic yet deadly on bronzebacks – the tube. Whether you fish for smallmouth bass as a tournament pro or a weekend warrior, incorporating tubes into your repertoire (if they’re not there already) is a sure-fire way to increase your catches of the ol’ redeye!

When talking smallmouth bass fishing in Central Wisconsin, one of the first places to come to mind is the Wisconsin River system. One of the most over-looked yet robust multi-species fisheries in the state, the Wisconsin River is also home to a fantastic smallmouth fishery. Smallmouth fishing on the Wisconsin River system, like many other rivers and flowages, entails presenting baits in several different scenarios. One such scenario involves fishing in and around heavy cover including wood, stumps, blow-downs, and the like. While pitching and flipping are common approaches to fishing dense woody cover, an often overlooked but effective tactic involves “swimming” a tube style lure, especially when fish are scattered or utilizing cover that is not overly dense.

To make tubes “swim”, reel slowly, occasionally flicking your rod tip and pausing. This will cause the tube to dart and dive, often provoking a strike from even the most cautious smallmouth. The rigging is simple: tie a Mustad Power Lock Plus weighted swimbait hook directly to your main line, add the tube, and you’re ready to score on bruiser bronzebacks! When swimming a tube, it is essential to incorporate pauses into your retrieve, ultimately allowing the bait to flutter and drop, sometimes even to the bottom - this is an especially effective technique when bass are a bit less aggressive and unwilling to chase a lure down to strike. Smallmouth will often strike on the drop and as such, anglers need to pay attention to their line at all times. Sometimes you may feel a ‘tick’ or thump as with jig fishing; many times however, the only indication of a strike may be a ‘jump’ in the line. If it looks or feels different, set the hook – it’s better to swing and miss than miss completely when a fish actually strikes.

In thicker cover, a Texas-rigged tube on a Mustad KVD Grip-Pin hook can slither through places that you normally would struggle to effectively penetrate. When fishing thick cover, use just enough weight to get the lure into the strike zone, and once there, keep the bait there long enough for the fish to have a chance to locate. In really dense vegetation or thick wood, more than one cast or pitch into the same vicinity is often necessary to connect with a fish. Conversely, in sparser cover, I’ll often opt to rig my tubes on wire guard jig heads. Why the wire guard instead of a bushier brush guard? Simple - tubes have a thin baitfish-style profile and I personally like the sleek, unobtrusive look of the wire guard on these style lures. Simply put, the thin wire guard helps preserve a sleeker profile more indicative of a baitfish while still doing its part in maintaining a snag-resistant offering.

Tubes, when utilized on spinning gear, have been one of my top all-time producers for smallmouth bass. It’s tough to beat the medium action St. Croix Mojo Bass 7’ rod specifically designed for fishing tubes and grubs, for this application. Complete the outfit with an Abu Garcia Cardinal spinning reel spooled with Sufix Performance Braid. In the really “thick stuff”, I opt to switch to a St. Croix Mojo Bass 7’ Plastics rod, or even a 7’6” Pitchin’ rod. When fishing for smallmouth I make sure to carry an assortment of rigging options and tubes in a variety of both sizes and colors, all in an effort to be able to match the mood of the fish and water conditions. My personal favorites include Mr. Twister’s 5” TUBO in the pumpkin seed/chartreuse and watermelon seed/red flake patterns, the Mister Twister 4” FAT Tube in chartreuse red pepper and firetiger patterns, and the 3” Berkley Power Tube in pumpkin chartreuse and white patterns. Experiment daily with size and color variations – the fish WILL tell you what they want, if you give them the chance…

If you have not added tubes as a weapon in your smallmouth (or largemouth bass) fishing arsenal, you’re missing the boat. Give ‘em a try this season and you’ll be pleasantly surprised! I’ll see you on the water…

Tight lines,