PDA

View Full Version : Opener Yields 29 1/2" Walleye & 39" Pike

Mike Trachta
05-16-2011, 06:35 PM
The Walleye Opener was a cold and windy morning. Anglers were forced to work with cold hands in a constant drizzle. As of Noon Saturday the word was...the fish are not where they were last year. But as the afternoon wore on, stringers of Walleyes ranging from 15 inches to 22 inches were showing up at our fish cleaning house. Debbie and I were treated to some fresh fried Walleye from our guests in Cabin #10.

Our year long Fishing contest here at Oak Haven is off to a good start. Mike Heisler landed a sweet 39 inch Northern Pike. This monster was released alive after several photo's were taken on his cell phone. Debbie and I were able to view those pictures and we're counting on Mike to email them to us after he gets home. We will then post those pictures in our Photo Gallery. Mike landed this Pike on a Spot Tail shiner and 6 lb. monofilament while fishing for Walleyes.

This morning I enjoyed measuring the longest Walleye I've had my hands on in a few years. Mike Savage is another Oak Haven regular. He landed a very nice 29 1/2 inch Walleye on Lake Andrusia and brought it to the Oak Haven docks to be photographed, then released alive. I carried our measuring board and my camera to his docked boat. After taking several pictures...Mike Savage held the head down while I squeezed the tail to confirm 29 1/2 inches. The fish was landed on a big scrumptious River Mix minnow that he bought at Oak Haven Resort. Mike Savage confessed he had run out of Spot Tails and was using this River Mix minnow because I had talked him into buying some the day before. Since we started our Fishing Contest in 2008....this is the largest Walleye landed by an Oak Haven guest. Nice job Mike. Looks like a brochure picture to me!

Jodi Blakstad brought in a 10 1/4 inch Bluegill....equal to the 3rd largest we have seen in 3+ years. And Don Brawner has taken the early lead in our Crappie category with a very nice 14 incher.

We were able to stock a large amount of Spot Tail Shiners, River Mix Minnows and Crappie Minnows...plus leeches and crawlers. We had a surplus of Spot Tails while we heard many places had none.

What a fun first 3 days! Friendly people everywhere at Oak Haven Resort!